First Wedding... Questions

Business By skittles2120 Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm by skittles2120

skittles2120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skittles2120 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I got a call from someone that was given my name and their cake decorator put their wedding on the wrong date so they need one, it's for September 22, HOLY COW!! So, it's a small wedding, around 100, and they just want a 3 tiered cake and simple white with maybe some blue accents to match the wedding. I was curious how I go about doing a contract. I am not quite sure. Should I have them pay the whole amount prior to the wedding cake?? Does anyone have a template for this?? Do I charge for rental of the cake stand?? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much!

7 replies
ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 8

I would charge for rental for the cake stand, let them know it needs to come back with in 10 days. Earlenescakes.com has a good cake contract you could use for reference. I require hald down and half the week prior to the date. So that way you don't get stuck. Cakedot has a real pretty smple cake that is done in white with blue scroll work and a blue ribbon.

PhishTech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhishTech Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 8

Funny you should post this, I am heading to pick up a deposit for a 9/22 wedding as well. I am not "legal" as they say, so I do not have a contract. I have the customer sign a cake details form and we each get a copy. This form shows what the deposit amt is and the total and when each is due. Its not legally binding, but most people just figure it is.

If you are legal I would have them sign a contract!!!

As for getting paid, 2 weeks prior to the wedding and you are getting the order??? I would ask for 100% payment now.

I am only asking for 50% since its a friend of a friend, but I am freaking out that I will be delivering a cake an there wont be a check for me to pick up.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 8

You could go either way in the stand charge for it or require a deposit given back when item is returned in 1 piece in xxx amount of days after wedding. I require 30 percent down to hold the date & the rest two weeks prior tp the wedding. But given the fact that the date is right around the corner I would ask for it up front. That way the checks have time to clear & you are not out any money. Also I would put in your contract once the cake is left you are not responsable for anything. Take pictures of the cakes from every angle possible to show it was fine when you left it.
Hope this helps

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 8

I would also say that with such short notice for the cake you would need to have payment in full in order for you to start accumilating your supplies - I charge a $15.00 rental fee for my stands and a $50.00 deposit that is returned to them when my stand is returned to me unharmed icon_smile.gif I would also do the taking the pics after you have set it up and make sure that they know once you have delivered and setup the contract is fulfilled. Good luck

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8

Phish Tech -- All though you are not legal I'd still have a contract. this will protect you and the client if anything should happen. In most cases the only thing that will happen if taken to court is a slap on the hand. If anything you'll be protedcting your interests, and with the contract the client can't come back and say that wasn't in the plans when it is there in black and white with their signature.

cCc

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8

my understanding is that a court can not uphold a contract based on illegal activity, which is basically what you'd be doing. so i think a contract is more harmful than helpful, as it is written proof that you are running an illegal business (can't claim you're a hobbyist if theres a business contract involved). so i would tell them you need payment NOW! all of it. i require full payment 2 weeks before the wedding, which in your case would be today. write out what they're getting so its very clear, but DON'T have any one sign it (as this would make it a contract, a signed written agreement between two parties). tell them no money today (or tomorrow if you're feeling generous) then no cake in two weeks. good luck!

skittles2120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skittles2120 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all of the advice and help with this. I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get going with this. Thanks again, you guys are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%