What Cake Is This, Can Anyone Tell Me????

Decorating By maeyami Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 12:46am by quills

maeyami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maeyami Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 18

I have had this cake before and I cannot remember the recipe or the name of it. The lady that makes them has moves out of the country with the Peace Corps and no one can remember what kind of cake it is. It was a chocolate base with creme cheese, cocconut, and pecans on baked on top of it. Almost tases like a German Chocolate Cake but looks nothing like it. I swear I could kick myself for not asking her before she left. Its gooey on the top and moist devils food chocolate cake on the bottom. Soooooooo GoooD!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone has an idea I greatly appreciate it. I have got to make this cake, or try anyway its heavenly. Thanks inAdvance!

17 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 18

sounds soooo good, sorry I can't help though.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 18

I have a recipe that sounds just like that. Mine is called "Earthquake cake" because the top of the cake most often splits like the ground during an earthquake. It isn't a very pretty cake, but it is delicious.

Let me know if you want the recipe and I will see if I can dig it up.

Brandi

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 18

Is it german chocolate upside down cake???

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolatecakes/r/bl30223a.htm

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

I have a recipe that sounds just like that. Mine is called "Earthquake cake" because the top of the cake most often splits like the ground during an earthquake. It isn't a very pretty cake, but it is delicious.

Let me know if you want the recipe and I will see if I can dig it up.

Brandi

sounds like that's it to me--that's what i was thinking of. i had it at a family thing, so i can't remember if it split or not, but from what mae describes it sound like what she's looking for.

luv2cake Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 18

Okay so this post got me thinking about this yummy cake and I decided to go see if I could find it and I did! I thought I would post it anyway just in case someone wanted it....

EARTHQUAKE CAKE:

8oz cream cheese at room temp.
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 German Chocolate cake mix

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease 9 X 13 pan. Layer pan with coconut and pecans. Mix the German Chocolate cake mix according to directions on the box. Pour prepared cake mix over the coconut and pecans.
In a separate bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients. Pour over the cake mix. Be careful to remain within 1" from the edges.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes....DO NOT OVERBAKE.

This is a family favorite!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 18

LOL that is the same as the german chocolate upside down cake, just a different name.

maeyami Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #8 of 18

Yeah I think that it maybe the earthquake cake only with devils food cake mix. The cake is so wicked good, I could eat a whole one by myself I swear. you guys are the greatest!!! I am so excited to try the recipe myself. Just got some new bakeware and need to break my spring forms in. LOL

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:52am
post #9 of 18

I hope it goes well because now I am hungry! I have a new cake to try this weekend and I am EXCITED! thumbs_up.gif

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:59am
post #10 of 18

Never heard of this cake, but it sounds delicious, have got to try it by this weekend, my family would love it. Thanks for the recipe.

Chef_Lori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Lori Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:44am
post #11 of 18

When I had this they called it 'better than sex cake'... YUM!!!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:51am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Lori

When I had this they called it 'better than sex cake'... YUM!!!

I HAVE to take this every year to our staff Christmas party. If I don't bring it I don't get to come. That is the only time of the year we eat that cake. My only problem is that I can't find toffee bits with no chocolate on them, all the supermarkets near me don't carry them without chocolate. I'm thinking this year I'll make my own toffee.

maeyami Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:56am
post #13 of 18

Hmmm, thinking that they need to rename the earthquake to the better than sex earthquake maker cake. Eureka!!! LOL

luv2cake Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 18

I think that the "Earthquake Cake" and the "Better than Sex Cake" are two different cakes. I have never made the better than sex cake, but I have eaten it. Doesn't it have sweetened condensedmilk, nuts, toffee, carmel, and maybe some whipped cream???

I totally can't remember...it's been so long since I have tasted it. However I do remember that it too is DELICIOUS!

maeyami Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 18

Yeah I think that they are two different cakes. I have seen and sampled so many different variations of the better than sex cake that I think that the Earthquake cake should take over that name. LOL

luv2cake Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 18

Ahh I see...
Maybe anything with chocolate and nuts and a gooey filling should be called "better than sex?" Ha Ha!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 18

Here's the recipe for better than sex cake....

1 (18 1/2 oz.) pkg. German chocolate cake mix
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 jar caramel sauce
12 oz. carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
3 Heath bars, crushed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x13x2 inch pan. Prepare cake mix as directed on package; pour into prepared pan. After 10 minutes of baking, sprinkle with chocolate chips. Continue baking until cake is done.
While cake is still hot, poke holes in it with handle of wooden spoon. Pour sweetened condensed milk over cake; let cool. Top with caramel sauce, then whipped topping. Sprinkle with candy bars.

quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #18 of 18

Do you think you could make the Earthquake cake with a scratch German Chocolate cake recipe? It sounds so good, but I just don't keep mix in the house . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%