Having Probs W/ Roses

Decorating By Candes Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 7:20pm by death_by_frosting

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

May be I should create my roses on top of wax paper squares but I don't. Of the few I've tried my hand at, I end up chasing the dang "rose" till it's about to fall off the nail. icon_mad.gif

Is the icing too soft? What am I doing wrong?

4 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like soft icing to me. You could also try making the roses with a hershey kiss as the base or on a skewer.. http://www.cakecentral.com/article50-Making-Buttercream-Roses-on-a-Stick.html.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 5

Have you ever tried using a Hershey's Kiss as the base for your rose? It is great (but I do use the wax paper squares). You just "glue" it to the wax paper square with your BC. It provides a stable, perfectly shaped base for your rose.

A trick my Wilton instructor did for us was put a little blob of that green florist's putty on top of our flower nail to keep the wax paper on it - works great. I just cover it with plastic wrap to keep it soft.

And yes, it might help to make your icing a little more stiff. But if you are getting ragged edges, that is too stiff.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

jkalman - great minds think alike - we were posting at the same time. icon_smile.gif

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

Are you using BC? if so, as a beginner to roses, I suggest mixing in some powdered sugar to make your icing stiffer. If you are making your own icing, just add less water next time. No need for waxed paper unless you are making them in advance. Also, there is a certain amount of balance requried when it comes to using soft BC. Kind of like riding a bike, once you learn how to balance it just right, you forget about it later after you have done it enough. Stiffer icing will surly change things for you. Mix in enough powdered sugar until you see a real difference in the consistancy, it may take more than you think. But don't add too much so that you have a hard time getting it to squeeze out of the bag. I promise you'll get it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%