Favorite Way To Make Red Velvet Cake From Mix??

Decorating By elvis Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 2:23pm by elvis

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 11

Hey-- I was just wondering if anyone could share how to make a good red velvet cake from a mix?? I'd love to offer this now that we're getting into winter. Do you like the actual Red Velvet Mix? Or is it better to start with German Chocolate Cake and add a bunch of red dye (or even white cake??) -- Thanks for any tips!!!

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:52am
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the info-- I've actually tried Cake Doctor's and now that I think of it, it wasn't as red as I thought it would be. I guess the chocolate changes it some. Does anyone make it with white? Or is Red Velvet cake supposed to have a chocolate taste? Thanks!!

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:57am
post #4 of 11

sorry...dumb question...but what is Red Velvet cake? I had not heard of it until I found CC. Is it a southern thing? maybe that's why I haven't heard of it. there is actually a mix for this? I've also never seen that, so maybe it is a regional type thing. I am in Connecticut.

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:58am
post #5 of 11

every red velvet cake that i've ever had is like a chocolate base... when describing it to people who've never had it i describe it that way and most agree after eating it. hth's just mho icon_biggrin.gif

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:03am
post #6 of 11

Red Velvet has to have the chocolate, or it's just white cake colored red. I use DH red velvet cake mix, substitute buttermilk for the water and add 2/3 cup more buttermilk to that. I cream one stick of butter and the amount of oil called for on the mix with 3/4 cup of sugar. Then I add the 3 eggs listed on the box one at a time. I add a half box of chocolate pudding and one cup of cake flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. I mix in the buttermilk and cake mix, alternating. This is an extender recipe. The addition of the pudding, buttermilk and butter gives it a homemade flavor. You can get 2 10"x2" layers from this recipe.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #7 of 11

To make it yourself:

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/Redvelvet.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/123613

Note the amount of red food dye!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:31am
post #8 of 11

I use the DH mix, add a package of chocolate pudding, 4 eggs, amount of oil called for on the box plus I sub buttermilk (if I have it on hand) for the amount of water called for on the box.

Very good. icon_smile.gif

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:41am
post #9 of 11

I've used devils food cake mix, used buttermilk instead of water, and added an entire bottle of red dye. Was very moist and delicious. Then everyone who didn't eat a piece made fun of those who had b/c our mouths were red. LOL! But at least we had our good eats.

JasmineRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineRose Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandds

I've used devils food cake mix, used buttermilk instead of water, and added an entire bottle of red dye. Was very moist and delicious. Then everyone who didn't eat a piece made fun of those who had b/c our mouths were red. LOL! But at least we had our good eats.

The first time I ever had red velvet cake a number of years ago while manning the bake sale table at a church holiday bazaar, I asked the woman who donated it for her recipe, and these were the exact ingredients she used. It was one of the best cakes I have ever tasted, even though I hate devil's food on its own. Also she said she used homemade buttercream icing which to me tasted like cream cheese icing although she said she didn't use any, which I thought was interesting. But no one's mouth was red at all from eating it.

I have also had red velvet cake made with a white cake base and it doesn't taste right to me.

elvis Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 11

Ya'll are the best! Thanks for all of the great tips and recipes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%