Help With Fondant Please!

Decorating By andrealynmoore Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 3:01pm by Wendoger

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

I've only used fondant once, and I really screwed it up. But, it was the Wilton primary colour fondant and I paid an arm and a leg for it thinking that it at least might taste good. Nope. Reminds me of uncooked pie crust.

Anyway, I'm going to try some MMF with the directions and recipe on here. I am wondering what you do, though, once the MMF is on the cake to make it smooth. Mine kept buckling when I tried.

Also, if you are using a colour other than white, what do you do about all the cornstarch you have to use when rolling it out? I mean, it must leave the cake pretty dusty. Do you wash it off somehow?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm hoping someone can help.

7 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

Hi!

If you use the recipe on here, you won't need all the powdered sugar maybe 1/2 c. less.
To prevent wrinkles/pleating, and mind you I'm still learning, you go slowly around the cake lifting and smoothing the fondant but I don't completely smooth down the section I'm working on that way when I lift and smooth the next section I have less wrinkles. I just work my way slowly around the cake and then go around again to finish smoothing. It does just take practice.

As far as the cornstarch,I use powdered sugar but if just rub the fondant before putting on the cake and you won't see it!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

My first time with mmf I used powdered sugar, but it left a white haze that would not go away. So I read on CC to use shortening. Works great! It keeps the mmf pliable and it doesn't stick or have the residue!

I would also add 1/4 cup shortening to the mmf when mixing it too I get the best results from that!

Stephanie

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 8

I don't roll mine out with any powdered anything or shortening. I went to Walmart and got some heavy vinyl in the fabric department. I got like 4 yards, cut it into 2 - 2 yard pieces. I roll the fondant out between these layers and it doesn't stick to the vinyl. It does stay attached to the vinyl by static, so I can roll it out and than peel off one layer of the vinyl and than lift up the vinyl with the fondant attached and hanging down in front of me, and just lay it on top of the cake than peel it off. It's GREAT. Totally love it.

Two tips about the vinyl:

To get the wrinkles out of the vinyl from it being folded you put the hottest water you can in your bathtub and than soak the vinyl in the bathtub for like 5 minutes. Comes out perfectly smooth. Than you just roll it and put it in mailing tubes to keep it clean and smooth.

When you roll out the fondant sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl, after you have gotten it to the size you want it, flip it over and remove what was the back. The side you were rolling on will be the most perfect and it will make it SUPER smooth and pretty.

Rachel

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 8

I usually don't have too many problems with wrinkling and creasing with MMF. If I DO have the occasional crease, I always make sure to rub some Crisco on my table surface AND a little into my hands as well. I found outif I put my fondant in the microwave for about 15 seconds, it makes it nice and pliable to work with, and then when i add that small amount of Crisco, it makes it the perfect texture to work with. Be careful not to use TOO much Crisco though, or you'll get a sticky mess!
Good luck!
As far as the cornstarch residue goes, it usually disappears with time if you don't use too much!

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:34am
post #6 of 8

Cool. You guys are helpful!

Thanks,
Andrea

MsAshlay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsAshlay Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:28am
post #7 of 8

Is it possible to make MMF without a stand mixer?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 8

I dont use powdered sugar or cornstarch, only crisco. I have a huge silicone mat I bought off ebay.
I used to use my KA to start the MMF but it was so hard on it. I do it all by hand now. Its also much easier to feel how the consistency is going when doing it by hand.
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%