Need To Make Edible Fall Leaves

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:20am
post #1 of 19

Has anyone made edible leaves?? I've never used candy clay(the one w/candy melts and corn syrup) and was wondering if that could be used (what is it's texture when dry?)

Has anyone made them from Royal? Ive seen it in Wilton books but never attempted it...

Any other ideas? I was thinking of doing cookies and putting them on the cake, but I want them to be more lifelike and not flat.

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #2 of 19

I make them out of wafer paper.

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:54am
post #3 of 19

Make them out of fondant. Cut the shape out with cookie cutters and then let them dry for a day or two. Gumpaste works really well but who want to eat gumpaste! icon_confused.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 19

I just use bc, I strip the bag with fall colors and use a large rose tip and pipe ruffled leaves onto my cake.

eieio1234 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I make them out of wafer paper.

Wafer paper... could you please tell me more?? I have some but haven't used it in forever... after you cut out the shapes, how do you color them?? Thanks in advance Leahs!

eieio1234 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwagner

Make them out of fondant. Cut the shape out with cookie cutters and then let them dry for a day or two. Gumpaste works really well but who want to eat gumpaste! icon_confused.gif

Apwagner, could you tell me more too? Fondant would be good too, I actually had another thread last week asking about leaves out of gumpaste (that is for a different cake, a wedding cake) but no one answered how to color the leaves. I don't want to use chalk.... do you tint the dough only or can you paint on them w/paste or gel colors?? Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 19

I treat leaves as an edible image. I scan real leaves in all different colors, then when I need an edible leaf, I choose a picture file and send it to the food safe printer loaded with the wafer paper. Cut it out, usually put gel on one or both sides, sometimes don't gel, and steam the edges for a realistic curl, sometimes add a little edible glitter . . .

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the tips Leahs!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 19

I've used fondant in various colors with a little luster dust. Check out my "Leaves are Falling" photo.

HTH!

boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 19

I just made some last night with light brown fondant brushed with bronze luster dust. Michael's had the fall mini cookie cutters (leaf, maple, acorn, another one) for $2.99. They came out perfect. I used a toothpick to make the leaf lines. I'll try and post a pic tonight.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 19

i've used the candy clay for leaves and i have used piped chocolate as well. the candy clay has a tootsie roll-like texture, not quite as hard though. there are a few pics in my photos with leaves on them.

i love the wafer paper idea - leahs- they sound so elegant looking!!!

eieio1234 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 19

[quote="emf7701"]i've used the candy clay for leaves and i have used piped chocolate as well. the candy clay has a tootsie roll-like texture, not quite as hard though. there are a few pics in my photos with leaves on them.
quote]

Can you point me in a direction so I know which cake to look at ? I saw one w/leaves but they were fabric leaves. What color(s) is the cake??

boricua, I'd love to see the pic, please tell me if you post it.

MrsAB, that's a beautiful cake! WHat kind of icing do you use?

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 19

the cakes with edible leaves are:

the family reunion cake (giant tree with blue background) - chocolate clay

fall cupcakes - piped chocolate

fall cake - chocolate leaves made by painting the chocolate onto fabric leaves, then peeling the leaves off the chocolate VERY carefully!

pumpkin cake - same as fall cake

hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 19

I melt chocolate and some fall colored candy melts and brush it on the back of nontoxic leaves-sometimes I use leaves from the "Spring Mix" salads. I pop them in the freezer and after a minute or two peel the leaf off the chocolate. Brushing a little bronze dust on the edges makes them look even better. Guests really enjoy eating them-unlike the gumpaste or fondant versions. Besides decorating the cake, it makes a beautiful presentation to have a chocolate leaf on each plate with the slice of cake.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 19

Candy melt in colors for candy clay.... recipe is on here.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 19

I've made little ones from candy clay: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88638

These were the smallest leaves from the Wilton nesting leaves and acorns set.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 19

I've done fall leaves out of fondant or fondant/gumpaste by cutting around real leaves and then using that same leaf to vein them. I tinted the fondant and also brushed them with dusts. My favorite were the maple leaves which were made with yellow fondant then brushed with red or flame petal dust.

They're on the fall leaf cake in my photos. I also made acorns out of sour apple candies with fondant caps.

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 19

hi... not sure if you are interested in using luster dust or not but i made some fall leaves out of gumpaste that i tinted with color first and then dusted with various different colors of luster dust once dry. the shiny luster dust gave the leaves a more ornate, decorative look than a realistic one but i found them so fun to do!

here is a detail pic of the top of my fall anniversary cake if you're interested...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1025613.html

eieio1234 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks everyone, I made them for Saturday's cake. Out of colored fondant, I veined them, then I used bronze dust on them, and lightly painted in the veins also. They came out so nice. I used different sized cutters and dried them in and on flower formers so they'd have some body to them. I even curled a few around to look natural. The customer was very happy. Thank you all for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%