Please Help The Artistically Challenged!!

Decorating By shelbycompany Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 1:05am by shelbycompany

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a Birthday cake in mind for my nephew. My sister asked me if I could make a baseball cake but my nephew wants the whole stadium. So the birthday boy will get what he wants. I have a great vision for the cake I want to do but I can't draw it on paper for didldey squat! I can envision great things but I can not draw to save my life. What am I going to do when I want to open my bakery someday? Can't imagine a bride being comfortable with my so called "sketches". How do ya'll get things on paper? Is there a computer program or something? Thanks!!

5 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

Great questions, I also can't draw. I have used the templates that are provided on the gallery site for some of my brides. I also give them lots of pictures and lots of books to look at.

The people here have been great about helping me out with scrolls and such. I also have the "problem" of seeing cakes in everything I look at. I will see patterns in flooring, curtains, evening my swimsuit cover-up, go figure.

I have PM'd many people here and they have been wonderful about giving me ideas.

I also take pictures of what I want, and have them blown up at the local copy store. Don't know if this will help.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #3 of 6

Look in the galleries under sketches. Doug is the sketch GOD! There are every kind of cake, shape, display you can imagine. I print them out and use them to draw. I am not artistically challenged, but this saves sooooo much time!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:10am
post #4 of 6

Yes, Doug is the sketch master! He has a lot of the cakes that a person does on a regular basis. There is also software you can use for wedding cake designs. As far as a stadium cake, your probably better to show a cake similiar to what your thinking. Charm City Cakes has done quite a few stadium cakes and Im sure you can use one of their photos to give your nephew an idea what it would look like.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #5 of 6

My best tip....

GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE!

That's how I get most of my ideas - and Doug is definitly great for laying out structural ideas.

Just a tip - Nordicware makes a staduim shaped cake pan, a little more football than baseball, but....
LL

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

Thank You Thank You for your ideas. I'm going to google now. I'll probably PM Doug too.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%