Photographing White On White Cakes

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 6 Nov 2006 , 5:11pm by tyty

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:19am
post #1 of 17

Any tips? I'm trying to photograph a Christmas cake I've just finished, but it just bleaches out all the fondant details? Any tips on taking a good photo of an all white cake? Here's an example of the useless photos I've taken so far!
LL

16 replies
sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:26am
post #2 of 17

I would suggest taking the picture with out the flash. Make sure it is day light. Most of my photos are with out flash, most are taken out side where I had plenty of natural light.

McDuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McDuff Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:28am
post #3 of 17

For photographing other things besides cake I bought a large white storage container. I cut a hole in the top and side for the camera lens, put it over the item, then placed a couple of those clamp on lights with reflectors facing the box. The plastic difused the light and prevented shadows. Never tried it for a cake though....

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:30am
post #4 of 17

Well, duh! Why didn't I think of that icon_lol.gif ?! OK, flash off and I'll give it another go! Thank you!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:45am
post #5 of 17

Yea! Here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-81610.html

photgraphed on the kitchen counter under the flourescent counter light (because I really wanted to show up the sparkles!) with the flash off. Thanks for all your help!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:50am
post #6 of 17

The picture came out great, nice job on the cake. Where do you get your disco dust from ? Would love to try it.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:08am
post #7 of 17

I get my sparkles from here:

http://newlook.design-a-cake.co.uk/default.asp?url=http://newlook.design-a-cake.co.uk/user/Login.asp

Search under 'Disco Sparkles'. It's not cheap, but they have the cheapest prices and the biggest selection around and a pot goes a very long way - I have about 25 different colours, but I use primrose, baby pink and white hologram the most! They are a great company and (obviously!), will ship internationally.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:34am
post #8 of 17

I have found that my best cake pictures are taken without the flash.
I don't know what kind of bulb they have in my camera, but if I use it on cakes, the pictures come out yellow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 17

Your photo came out very nice and your cake is beautiful! I hardly every use the flash with my camera and never when photographing cakes. I checked out that website. WOW! I wish I could get that stuff here in NY! icon_cry.gif

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 17

I've been wondering what the product that makes such marvelous sparkles was called! The glycerine-based edible glitter just wasn't cutting it--I'm a sparkle girl! And now I'm a woman obsessed. Must....buy....Disco Dust!!!

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 17

Very pretty cake! The Sparkles are such a GREAT touch!

usaribbon.gif

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 17

What a difference! The cake is simple yet BEAUTIFUL!
I'm going to check out that web site!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthyrth

And now I'm a woman obsessed. Must....buy....Disco Dust!!!

Haha! Me too, just take a look at my photos, I get it on to as many cakes as I can! I love it, and so do my customers! Little girls just flip over their sparkly cakes, and even the boys think it's cool thumbs_up.gif

Rezzycakes - they do international shipping! Might be something you could consider adding to your shop inventory? Edible Art (the makers) may even deal with you direct if you want to buy in bulk - worth a try?!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 17

Another suggestion for your photos: when you don't have the option of going outside or plenty of natural light, put a "filter" over your flash ... I sometimes use a piece of paper, or even a finger on my little digital camera. The problem you are having is that your light source is too harsh and you need to diffuse it somewhat. Actually, some of my favorite cake pictures are taken this way and, while they'd never win a prize in a contest for photography, they show the details I want to see much better.

Hope this helps you out.

Odessa

p.s. love the sparkes on your cake, too!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:55pm
post #15 of 17

Great suggestion!! Thanks!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 17

You can buy a special filter for your camera that makes this easier - or take the photo outside without using a flash - thats how I take my 'white cakes' photos.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 17

I'M going to save that site, I'd like to order some of that disco dust. Your cake looks great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%