Mailbox News Magazine

Decorating By reesesob Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm by reesesob

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have the MBN Vol. 52 Iss. 5: Sep/Oct 2007? I just saw that I can order it for $5 but when I went to order it the added on $5 for shipping. My question is... Is it worth it? I love the cake on the cover and was wondering if they go into detail on how to make it.
I've never seen this magazine before. icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 8

I have been getting it for the past year....honestly I don't think it is worth it. There is a section with alot of recipies but theres a ton here too and they are free. I dont find that the majority of cakes in there are so different or new.... I maybe came across 3 cakes that gave me some ideas. I would rather search pictures on cake central icon_smile.gif

Just my opinion but I wil not be renewing.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

If you send my your address I will give you mine!!! It has the red,whte and blue cake on th front right?

Laurel

oops.... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I just looked ..I have July/August....Haven't gotten my sept/october yet!!!Sorry!! icon_redface.gif

Ditto what seven says....I won't be renewing either.Nothing spectacular that I can't get here for free!! JMOicon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

I have collected about 35 full years of MBN, probably more. I really like the new format size. It used to be a lot smaller. I like looking at the pictures of cakes done by regular bakers. I LOVE the recipes. Like any magazine, it may not appeal to everyone. It is all a matter of personal preference and taste.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 8

There are alot of amateur photos in it but there are also alot of pro photos as well. You can get some really good ideas even from the amateurs. You might see a cake that isn't spectacular but might have a good idea to it and take that as an element to a future cake. I agree that it isn't as good as ACD but I'll still renew it. I'll take whatever is out there, the more the better!

The issue you're referring to is the one with the haunted house on the front, right? It doesn't have instructions, no...they have instructions for a trophy deer head and a box of crayons cake though.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 8

There are alot of amateur photos in it but there are also alot of pro photos as well. You can get some really good ideas even from the amateurs. You might see a cake that isn't spectacular but might have a good idea to it and take that as an element to a future cake. I agree that it isn't as good as ACD but I'll still renew it. I'll take whatever is out there, the more the better!

The issue you're referring to is the one with the haunted house on the front, right? It doesn't have instructions, no...they have instructions for a trophy deer head and a box of crayons cake though.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8

I have almost all the issues ever printed. I lack a few of the first issues. I stated subscribing in the early 80's. Then I bought the rest of my collection from the company that ran it then and off ebay. I have over a hundred duplicates I hsve to sell some day. I love cake magazines. The older issues are my favorites. I love the style of decorating then. I love piping. I also have all issues of American Cake Decorating. I personally really like getting both.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the replys, I forgot to click the watch topic link and han't noticed anyone responded yet, so sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

This is the issue I am referring to. Thant stinks that there isn't info on how to do it. Maybe I'll hold of on getting it for now.

Again thanks for all the replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%