I Admit I'm A Cheapskate

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm by tonimarie

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 11

alrighty, I'm just getting started selling my cakes, and I would like to know where ONLINE is the cheapest place to get supplies like fondant, tools etc. Please share with me. detective.gif

10 replies
fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 11

I'm ALWAYS searching the internet for sale prices, I buy some things on ebay, if you do the edible images then I get things from www.icingmagic.com they don't charge a shipping fee. www.joann.com has some decorating supplies and alot of times so has a coupon online. I have used www.kitchenkraft.com but there are a little pricey. and the same with www.countrykitchensa.com

HTH
Missy

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 11

I use candylandcrafts.com. They are located in New Jersey. They have good prices and ship very quickly. I usually receive my orders within three days of placing them. I also use joann.com and get the 40% off coupons in email.

tonimarie Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:57am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for sharing with me!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #5 of 11

Also try www.globalsugarart.com and www.intotheoven.com and for all your color needs, americolor gels, here, cake central has the BEST prices and awesome service. They are currently out of stock but was told they are having more very soon. Also, CC is the best place to buy luster dusts. HTH

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #6 of 11

I buy my Satin Ice Fondant from www.intotheoven.com. It is $30 cheaper than anywhere else I shop for the 20lbs bucket..Their shipping is very fast. I order it and have it within 2 days.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #7 of 11

I was using caljavaonline.com and they have nice stuff, but I forgot to order ahead once and since they are in cal. and I'm in md it wouldn't get here on time. I found cakedeco.com. Their fondx 10lbs is about $10 less than caljava. They don't carry everything, but they do have a large selection b/c they also cater to larger commercial accounts. They're in new york and I get my stuff next day!

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:06am
post #8 of 11

Hi ToniMarie! I am a 63 year old woman that started going to cake decorating classes 11 years ago and then made cakes for clients soon after. I just had to add this, if I knew then what I know now, frankly cake decorating will get to be a very, very expensive art/hobby! I have found that I will really never get back monetarilly what I have invested in all the equipment, supplies, class instruction and tools that I have bought over the years to achieve the level of my decorating. Eventually you will find that if you are a true "cheapskate" the art of cake decoration is way too expensive and time consuming! On the other hand, you will find a great deal of reward in your accomplishments, skills and knowledge that you and many other people will be made happier by what you can do in creating a beautiful cake for them. Good luck in your pursuit of this wonderful craft. Many times it has been the best stress reliever that I know of.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:06am
post #9 of 11

Hi ToniMarie! I am a 63 year old woman that started going to cake decorating classes 11 years ago and then made cakes for clients soon after. I just had to add this, if I knew then what I know now, frankly cake decorating will get to be a very, very expensive art/hobby! I have found that I will really never get back monetarilly what I have invested in all the equipment, supplies, class instruction and tools that I have bought over the years to achieve the level of my decorating. Eventually you will find that if you are a true "cheapskate" the art of cake decoration is way too expensive and time consuming! On the other hand, you will find a great deal of reward in your accomplishments, skills and knowledge that you and many other people will be made happier by what you can do in creating a beautiful cake for them. Good luck in your pursuit of this wonderful craft. Many times it has been the best stress reliever that I know of.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:51am
post #10 of 11

I cut my cake boards out of cardboard boxes and cover them with freezer paper.

If you have an AC Moore nearby, you can print out a 40% coupon every week on this link:
http://www.acmoore.com/showweeklyspecialcoupon.asp?ID=98

tonimarie Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 11

Dear CShields,
Thank you for writing to me. I have also been decorating for 11 years. I am self taught through books and now this awesome website. I know the expense because of what I've put into it already! I was curious of where everyone else got supplies because the prices vary so much. I also have 6 children, so every little bit I can save helps. thank you for sharing your story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%