How Do You Cut A Wedding Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 12:31am by indydebi

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 5

How do you cut a wedding cake for the ceremonial piece? They do not want to save the top layer for their anniversary. Do they cut the top first or the bottom? Its a four layered stacked cake.

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 5

I mostly see them cut a small piece out of the bottom layer, but it is my understanding that they can cut any place they choose.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 5

especially if it's a multi-flavored cake. I ask them which flavor they want and then get them set up on that tier.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

Thanks, but I think I just figured it out. The bow is going to be on the top, so wouldn't they want to cut on the bottom so they won't have to take the bow off?

I looked on a wedding site and they aslo said that they start the cut from the bottom. After the first cutting, sometimes, they take the layers apart to continue serving.

I hope this is right.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

After the first cutting, sometimes, they take the layers apart to continue serving.

I ALWAYS take the layers apart to cut-n-serve the cake. Once the photographer is done, I shoo the bride and groom out of there and start disassembling the cake. I cut the cakes in order of largest to smallest (depending on flavors, of course).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%