Anyone Use A Cake Icer Tip To Frost Their Cake?

Decorating By Tug Updated 6 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm by berryblondeboys

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #1 of 22

Has anyone used a Cake Icer Tip to frost their cakes? I read on the baking 911 website, that this was a good way of frosting.
Is it that much better or am I wasting my time buying a new frosting tip?

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:32am
post #2 of 22

all the time...luv it!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:36am
post #3 of 22

what Doug said! I even squish it down a bit to use LESS icing!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:36am
post #4 of 22

EVERY CAKE, EVERY TIME. I wouldn't frost a cake without it!! Love it! I NEVER have to crumb coat!

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:36am
post #5 of 22

I use it all the time. It is wonderful! Definitely a good buy.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:40am
post #6 of 22

I use it every time! It puts enough icing on that you do not need to crumb coat.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:42am
post #7 of 22

..can't imagine icing a cake without it!! I love mine!

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:44am
post #8 of 22

I actually just use an open coupler. It's a tip I picked up from sugarshack.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

I actually just use an open . It's a tip I picked up from sugarshack.

To ICE the cake or make the dam for the filling?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #10 of 22

I would like to. Every time I try and use the darn thing the icing literally falls off the side of the cake! It is so infuriating and it seems like the most simple thing to do but I can't make it work. AARRGGHH!! If anyone has any suggestions I would like to join the icer tip club. It's gotta be something simple and I'm being an idiot...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:57am
post #11 of 22

..you have to sort of "scrape" the side of the cake with the tip as you are squeezing out the icing. I hope that makes sense!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:58am
post #12 of 22

I have the super huge icer tip and love it - I don't use it for each cake though, it depends on the size of the cake as to whether or not I use it.

If the cake is small, I will usually take a disposable icing, cut about 1" or so off, and will do a spiral style frosting, and will spread it to cover any empty space.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:59am
post #13 of 22

WOW ! Thank you everyone thumbs_up.gif for the positive input. Looks like I'm off to Michaels (again) to get the cake icer tip tomorrow.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I would like to. Every time I try and use the darn thing the icing literally falls off the side of the cake! It is so infuriating and it seems like the most simple thing to do but I can't make it work. AARRGGHH!! If anyone has any suggestions I would like to join the icer tip club. It's gotta be something simple and I'm being an idiot...

You have to make sure the opening of the icer tip is aimed directly at the cake, and pretty much touching the cake as you do it. You kind of want to smash the icing against the cake or it may not adhere. If you hold the tip too far away the icing will stick in some spots, and not in others.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 22

i was also having that same problem. i actually thought i gave mine away and bought a new one so i have 2.

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 22

Yes, and I love mine. It cuts the time shorter for me. I agree...you have to hold the tip next to the cake so the icing is snug and stays, but it beats putting the icing on with a spatula in my opinion.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 22

I put my cake on a turntable, fill my biggest bag that is used ONLY for the big tip and then spin with one hand and squeeze out with the other. Two complete turns and the sides are on. Then I spin and scrape/mold with a spatula from there and it works fine and is so much faster than a spatula.

I only use a spatula on things that are weird shaped.

Melissa

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 22

I used mine once and I jsut couldn't get it right. I was getting crumbs all over the place and my icing looked terrible. I guess I will try it again and see what happens but I wasn't too thrilled. Looks like I was just doing it wrong!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #19 of 22

I cannot get the hang of it. I have tried ~ and it just seems so "bulky" for me to handle. I guess maybe I have been doing it the spatula way so long I just can't get used to a new "trick". I have tried it several times and end up with crumbs all over the place - the icing stays put just fine, but it looks terrible with all the crumbs. icon_sad.gif (and the icing is super thick too - not sure what I am doing wrong)

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 7:55pm
post #20 of 22

I use mine all the time and never have to crumb coat. Works great for me - and I agree with everyone saying you have to get close to the cake surface for it to stick on correctly.

I actually had to learn to "crumb coat" when I took a fondant class!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 22

I use it and love it! Even coverage, never have to go back and add more icing (we all know what starts to happen when you have to do that!). I will agree though, you have to literally press the ridges of the tip into the cake so it adheres well, or else it falls off. Also, never use on a frozen cake, that always makes my icing fall off too. After a few cakes with the tip you'll get the hang of it and never go back to the old way!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 22

It does make a really thick coat, but it's much easier to even it up and remove frosting than to add it back on. I probably take about 1/2 off when I'm smoothing it all down.

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%