Major Trouble Finding Edible Image Printer

Decorating By evesloven Updated 19 Feb 2007 , 1:41am by lillykaci1

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:04am
post #1 of 15

Hello. I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm really wanting to find a printer for making edible images. I checked out the info posted on the main page here and either I'm really slow, or um..just really slow, but I can't seem to get to the printer(s) that I would need. I've tried looking up the different models listed and most of them show up as discontinued. (I referenced with the Canon website). I've also seen a few different "Edible Image Cake Decorating Systems", but I don't know how long those have been around or how good they are. I checked out kopykake's site and sugarcraft.com and ended up more confused. I am just looking for a not so expensive, not discontinued model, basic edible image printer. I currently have an all in one system so I don't need a printer with a scanner or anything. I figure I can just scan in my images with my current scanner. I also don't want to try to put edible inks in with my printer that has already had a couple years use of regular inks. I'm thinking there would be some potential health issues with that. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction to finding a basic edible image printer, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you!

14 replies
KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:37am
post #2 of 15

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42386.html

I believe this is what you're looking for. HTH

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:41am
post #3 of 15

Do you want a non-discontinued one because of repair reasons, or just because you can't find the discontinued models? I bought a rockin' good printer online, it was a just discontinued model, but I got it for $89 (several hundred cheaper!!) and it was brand new in the box, works perfectly, etc. It's a Canon, so you know it's recommended, and I have no trouble getting edible ink cartridges, etc. If you go to Amazon.com and search for any of the Canon printers you will find them there. I bought from Adorama camera, they had reasonable shipping rates, quick order filling, and excellent product. Cheers! HTH!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:45am
post #4 of 15

Take a look at www.icingimages.com That is where I bought my system. If you need info or have questions, you can e-mail Debbie, the owner of Icing Images.

Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #5 of 15

Just an FYI... if you purchase a 'system' you are going to get a scanner and all that stuff which is great if you don't have one, but you are going to spend hundreds more than you would if you just bought a printer, paper, and cartridges seperately. I agree that Debbie at IcingImages is a doll and will give you great info! That's who I dealt with in making the decision, and I give her all my business because of her excellent attitude and customer service. I recommend them for the paper and cartridges.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:57am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Just an FYI... if you purchase a 'system' you are going to get a scanner and all that stuff which is great if you don't have one, but you are going to spend hundreds more than you would if you just bought a printer, paper, and cartridges seperately. I agree that Debbie at IcingImages is a doll and will give you great info! That's who I dealt with in making the decision, and I give her all my business because of her excellent attitude and customer service. I recommend them for the paper and cartridges.

I also found out that when you add a printer on your computer that is not compatible with the Canon system...if you put the CANNON infront of the name of the computer y ou are adding it will work.

I havent done that since I bought myself a Cannon.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:58am
post #7 of 15

I got a list of the compatible printers from kopykake.com, called and talked with them (nice folks!), then I ordered an Epson printer from epson.com and the ink and paper from kopykake. I used it for the first time last week and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I spent the weekend thinking of things I can scan in and put on cookies and cakes. I even got my first corporate account making logo cookies and I am going after more. Obviously, I am very excited. I hesitated at first about spending the $$ but I am sure it is a good investment. Good luck picking one out and if you need more info PM me! icon_smile.gif

jmac3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmac3333 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:17am
post #8 of 15

I found a company that sells the Canon Pixma iP6000D printer, which is compatible with the Kopykake ink cartidges. It sells for $119.00. The address is www.beachcamera.com
Their supply must be dwindling because the price is $20 more than the last time I looked.
Hope this helps!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #9 of 15

I just went through the same thing with trying to find a printer. Best I can tell you is the canon is not available any more for edible ink but you can get an Ebson I just bought the cx4800 and ordered my ink from kopykake I paid $89 for the printer and it has a scanner with it. What has happened is the printers are now coming with 1 ink cartrige instead of individual ones which is what you need for the edible colors. When you order the ink for the ebson you also need the magnitic re-setter apparently the ebson is know for saying the ink is empty but its not so you just reset it to work again its $15. Hope this helps I am hopping I recieve my ink tomorrow. I also ordered icing paper. The ink for the ebson is $72 from kopykake you can also find the different models #s of printers listed there.

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #10 of 15

Thanks a bunch!! I'm going to check these ideas out and see what I can afford. Thanks for the help!!!

cakesondemand Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:13am
post #11 of 15

I recieved my ink and frosting paper today and keep you updated once I try my new printer.

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:37am
post #12 of 15

I bought the Canon IP6000D from Adorama Camera through Amazon.com for $89. I suggest them highly. Excellent reviews.

cakesondemand Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:12am
post #13 of 15

yahoo it worked. We set up the printer with the edible ink at first it kept jamming since the directions said to remove the paper from the back of the frosting then put in the printer well that didn't work so we tried it leaving the paper on, it worked here is the picture I printed. I bought the ebson cx4800 and ordered the ink and frosting paper from kopykake.
This is a picture of my sons dragon boat teams logo.
LL

Melvira Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:27am
post #14 of 15

The instructions said to remove the backing paper???? That's insane! icon_eek.gif

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:41am
post #15 of 15

Does anyone know if the new canon that replaced the IP6000D will work with the same cartrages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%