Shiney Icing??????

Decorating By acadian Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 11:03pm by CherryLane

acadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acadian Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen lots of cakes here on cc where the icing that is piped on almost appears to be shiney or have luster dust mixed with it?? So I thought I'd ask the pros here on cc for the low down on how to achieve that affect.
Thanks so much. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

It's probably where they have airbrushed either a luster dust or pearl dust on the cake. You have to mix the dust with vodka and spray it takes many, many coats, you have to be very careful to clean out your gun after you are done so you don't clog it up.

Hope that helped!
Missy

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 5

I use what is called Edible Pearl Lustre Spray from PME which is a company out of Great Britain.I buy the cans of spray from an Ebay seller but I hear that Sugarcraft is now selling it.It leaves a shiny/pearly look on the icing and smells divine!!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

If it's only the "piped" icing that is shiny (not the background of the cake), then it may have been piped on with royal icing, then when it dried, hand painted with a mixture of luster dust and vodka.

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 5

I spray pear dust mixed with vodka on the cake. If it's BC then let it crust first, if it IMBC or SMBC chill it so it's hard.

One small container of peral dust to one ounce of vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%