Patchwork Cutters

Decorating By mjs4492 Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 1:13am by dolphins256

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 24

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has used the "patchwork cutters" for fondant or gumpaste? Found them on the web. They look pretty interesting.

23 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 24

I have one. It's a banner that I've used a few times. I think they're used alot in English cake decorating. beryls.com has alot of patchwork cutters, and I've seen a few books on the subject.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 24

I love those...but I use them mainly for impressions. I get mine from Globalsugarart.com

here's a cake I made using them for impressions along the front.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rezzycakes&cat=0&pos=7

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 24

Hi..I use them. If you look in my photos the cake with the lamb and babies is a patch work cutter. I have only used them so far with gum paste. They are nice to have.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 24

I love them, use them alot. I find that i can get alot of detail with those that you wouldn't or can't from other cutters.

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 24

I have always wanted to try this. How do you use them?

mjs4492 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 1:30am
post #7 of 24

Well, thank you for the photos with the patchwork cutters!! Beautiful cakes!!!
I just bought the Arum Lily (calla lily) and Snow Drop cutters from Beryls. Thanks for the sites also!! Very interesting and can't wait to try them!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 24

i have a few and wondered how to use them also??

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 24

These are made with patchwork cutters, then painted.
LL

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 24

The flowers are very pretty. I haven't seen the cutters. Are the flowers and leaves made from a different cutter?

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 24

Heres a couple more with patchwork cutters
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 24

If you check in my photos,

The biker is a patchwork cutter
the haunted house, the windows and ghosts, bats and most of the details on the cake are done with these cutters.
The baby cake with the sweater also uses patchwork cutters, (the duck on the oneis, the sweater also uses a patchwork embosser)

mjs4492 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 24

Wanting to try them this weekend - just got the one's that I ordered from Lindy Smith in England.
How to you mix the "paint" for the cutters? I was going to use regular Wilton fondant for practicing.

MissBaritone Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 24

Just petal dust mixed with a little clear alcohol

mjs4492 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 24

Thank you so much!! Wasn't sure if it was petal dust or the regular colors. I found some "Patchwork Cutter" books on beryls.com. Can you recommend which one to start with?

dolphins256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphins256 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 24

So are they used just like cookie cutters. I was reading this post and have never heard of them before. I'm still very new to the cake making thing. They look really neat.

MissBaritone Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 24

I would go for the early ones, Books 1-4 tend to deal with techniques showing how to emboss and paint, stand up figures, decoupage etc. The later books are more just ideas for decorating the cakes with the new cutters. Just around this time every year a new batch of cutters come out along with a new book.

mjs4492 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks again!!! icon_smile.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 24

So, you actually cut out the shapes and then place them on a cake/cookie, right? I have tried to dut out shapes using fondant and it doesn't work. Are there cutters/emobossers designed to be used with gum paste?

I did try using gun paste one time and it just go stuck in the cutter.

MissBaritone Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins256

So are they used just like cookie cutters. I was reading this post and have never heard of them before. I'm still very new to the cake making thing. They look really neat.

They can be. You can emboss into the fondant and paint or dust , you can cut parts out of different couloured gumpaste and put together like patchwork, some can be dried in sections and stuck together to give 3-d shapes, you can do decoupage, stand up figures, brush embroidery. They really are very versatile and I would recommend reading a couple of the early books, or if you can get them watch a couple of the videos to get ideas on the different techniques.

MissBaritone Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

So, you actually cut out the shapes and then place them on a cake/cookie, right? I have tried to dut out shapes using fondant and it doesn't work. Are there cutters/emobossers designed to be used with gum paste?

I did try using gun paste one time and it just go stuck in the cutter.

if you're embossing a normal fondant covered cake is fine, if you're cutting pieces out use either gumpaste or mexican paste and make sure buth the cutter and the surface you are working on are greased with crisco.

mjs4492 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:14am
post #22 of 24

Well, I've spent the better part of today searching the internet for Patchwork Cutters. Beryl's seems to be better at prices. GlobalSugarArt has a great selection. But..... I just found a store on eBay (go figure) that has many of the ones on both of those sites - but alot cheaper! The store is "Confectioner's Paradise" and his shipping is even cheaper!
(Just in case anyone is as intrigued in these as I am)

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:26am
post #23 of 24

I have ordered from Berly's and also try http://www.sugarcraft.com/. they do have alot of stuff.

dolphins256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphins256 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #24 of 24

I found a website for the customers in America (of course anybody can visit these sites) so we would not have to pay for the high shipping. It is www.globalsugarart.com. I am already in love with this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%