Refurbished Kitchenaid??

Decorating By lanesmom Updated 6 Nov 2006 , 12:15pm by debster

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever purchased a refurbished KitchenAid stand mixer and, if so, what are your thoughts on it? Any problems? Would you recommend it? Is it worth the savings that you get? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 13

I bought one last November, and I truly regret it. I had nothing but trouble with the first one, the motor was screaming and it always smelled like the motor was burning up. I returned it, only to have the same problem with the second one. It's like they sent the same one back to me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 13

lanesmom,

I don't have a refurbished KA mixer however, I do have a refurbished KA food processor. It was a gift to me. It looked brand new right out of the box and it works great! Have had it a couple of years and no problems with it. It is really a dream machine!! I would have never known it was refurbished had I not been told or seen the sticker on the box.

~luraleigh~

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 13

My sister won an EBAY auction for a refurbished KA. She had a few problems with it and wrote to the company about how to adjust something on it. They said that something must be wrong with it and sent her a new one. She has nothing but great things to say about the company.

Keep us posted.

kos

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 13

I just bought a refurbished KA mixer 3 or 4 months ago and I have not had a problem with it. I LOVE it. If I had it to do all over again would I buy it.... YOU BET I WOULD.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 13

Knowing how much I use mine and the abuse that is put on it, I'd be careful. KA is a wonderful company, and the mixers have come down so much in price, I'd go for a new one unless you can return for further repairs, etc.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 13

buying refurbshed appliances i think is always a risk. if you are willing to take that risk then go ahead..personally i would but a new one...you cant what the problem was with the refurbished mixer....maybe they should tell you...like that website for cars carsfax.com....maybe it should be noted what the problem was with the mixer.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 13

I bought a refurbished KA this past spring as my second KA. My old one is a 5-qt, and this one is the big 6-qt professional. I bought it at an outlet mall-type place, and the store manager was working on a slow day and had time to talk to me. She said that some of the units listed as refurbished are actually cosmetic rejects rather than refurbished. Bless her heart, she opened five boxes for me and showed me what she was talking about. The one I bought has a small rough spot on the body, and the aluminum band that goes around the mixer head is a little loose. She said that those imperfections were all that made it refurbished - that usually the cosmeticly (sp? is this even a word?) perfect ones had been reworked to correct a problem. This may only be the case for this particular chain of stores, or she may have fed me a good line, but I believed her enough to buy a mixer icon_lol.gif I have had no problems with it at all so far and have put some heavy loads on it.

sweetexpressions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetexpressions Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 13

Have a refurb pro 5 ka off amazon several months ago! I have used this machine ALOT!! I have had ZERO problems with it! It cam with a 6 month warranty! The new ones come with a one year warranty. The reviews that I read on amazon at the time were awesome. One reviewer said he would buy nothing but refurb because of the extensive testing they go through to get back on the market. I'm not sure what they do all I know is mine works great and I love it. Now that I think about it the only problem I had was with my paddle. The coating started to come off so I order one with out the coating! HTH!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetexpressions

... One reviewer said he would buy nothing but refurb because of the extensive testing they go through to get back on the market. I'm not sure what they do all I know is mine works great and I love it. Now that I think about it the only problem I had was with my paddle. The coating started to come off so I order one with out the coating! HTH!

I have a refurbished camera for the exact reason you mentioned. Many items go down an assembly line without notice. A refurbished item has been fixed/repaired etc. and re-tested before it's allowed to go back on the shelves. Great tip sweetexpressions.

kos

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:57am
post #11 of 13

Just saw a commercial on TV for a new KA 6 qt. (I think) that came with meat grinder, juicer, and new ice cream maker plus misc. other things. Priced at $299. With all the attachments and do-dads I thought that was a fantastic price! I would go on the KA website to check out prices.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 13

I guess it all depends on who refurbished it.
If someone Licensed from KA fixed it then it should be okay, but if they're not then maybe they would have a problem. I thought mine died and it only turned out her speed panel broke. KA told me where to go to get her fixed. I'm hoping for a 10 quart made by KA. A GIRL CAN DREAM RIGHT?

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 13

I bought a redone coffee pot once and it wasn't a good experience. Sometimes Amazon.com had good deals a friend of mine bought one there and loved it. Good luck to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%