Artist Reception

Business By fabulicious Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm by fabulicious

fabulicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulicious Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:36am
post #1 of 9

Hi! I'm new here-this is my first post!! I am at the very beginning of starting a cake/cupcake business. I have been invited to do a table at a plaza artist's reception for the county I live in! I am so excited-this is a huge event with at least 300 attendees!! I am planning to do a cupcake display probably with 3 different kinds-white w/maybe raspberry buttercream, chocolate with cream cheese filling, and maybe a mocha cupcake. Any ideas to make this a great success?? I am open to any suggestions/recipes!!
TIA!! icon_wink.gif

8 replies
albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

Welcome to CC! And congrats on the great opportunity!

Is there a theme for the event? Could you tie-in your decorating to that?
The flavors sound yummy! Will you be selling the cupcakes or just giving samples? With more details we can give you better advice.

If the event allows you to, take lots of business cards and maybe a portfolio of your work, too.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:16am
post #3 of 9

definately business cards and brochures a lot of handshaking

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:17am
post #4 of 9

I was also going to ask if there was a theme! If not, you should definitely let your creative side loose... skip the same old same old, and do something really avante garde and artistic!! This could be the opportunity to do something really FUN that you won't get to do again soon! Congratulations on this coup, and welcome to CC... we're certainly glad to have you!

fabulicious Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:04am
post #5 of 9

Not so much a theme--the invitations are very straight-line, classy looking, white and brown. They are giving me a 6 foot table with white linens and they are making me a sign with my logo on it ( thumbs_up.gif ). My logo is pink and brown so I thought I would use simple ribbon in those colors to decorate. I can't do anything too elaborate because I work full time for now! I will be taking lots of business cards!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 9

Hmmmm.. that leaves it pretty open for you. Pink and brown is SUPER hot right now! Perhaps just something a little abstract in those colors! Good luck with whatever you choose! How very exciting for you!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 9

Do you by any chance have access to look at any of the artist's work that will be on display??
if so I would take a look at the work and see if you can do anything that ties into it.
That way itll be even more of a tie in and draw ppl in.
Maybe do 1/3 of your cupcakes to match the artwork

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 9

Melvira- LOVE that Alton quote! icon_lol.gif

fabulicious- I love the way cupcakes look on a cupcake tower, and this sounds like a classy event where it would look great. There's one in my pics where I covered masonite cake boards w/ contact paper, then used hot glue to attach a string of silver beading around the edge of each board. I had wine glasses holding up each board, but for an event like this, you could use something more artistic (and sturdy). Like, maybe styrofoam rounds covered in pink & brown fabric. And instead of beading you could use a fringe or other rick-rack that would hang down a bit. Something that says "classy" and "artistic" as well. It makes for a really eye-catching display.

I've also taken a clipboard with a pen attached, with a form that they fill in with whatever contact information they want to give to me. This way they can give me their information to request a call from me to schedule an appointment or event. After they fill in the form, I take it an make a few notes on the back about what we discussed, what they looked like, etc. This helps me remember when I contact them later.

Good Luck!

fabulicious Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%