Started Part Time Decorator Job Today!

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 1:25pm by JaneK

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #1 of 12

Hi guys!

I finally started my part time job with a cake bakery in town. I was so excited to be there. MAN...are they busy! I had no idea how much business she brings through her doors.

Somethig I noticed today was that her buttercream does not crust. It also smoothes like a dream. She does not share her recipe and there are only a couple of folks there that know it.

It had a very faint ivory tint to it so I guessing she used a good bit of butter and possibly cream instead of water or milk. Any ideas as to what she can be doing? I know there are some pros here and I would like any tips if ya'll are willing to share. The buttercrea, that I normally use crusts and after using hers today, I'm hooked.

Thanks!

Wanda

11 replies
WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:23am
post #2 of 12

Congrats on your new job!! Glad to hear you like it...let us in on any secrets you find out!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #3 of 12

Ditto!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandootie

Somethig I noticed today was that her buttercream does not crust. It also smoothes like a dream.

She's probably a "closet" SugarShack'er!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And that's why she doesn't want to share her secret!

But do watch and learn! Wow, sounds like you are in a great job!! icon_biggrin.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:53am
post #5 of 12

congrats!! i'm jealous.

does IMBC or SMBC crust, could it be one of those?

viewbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viewbaker Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #6 of 12

its probably italian meringue buttercream....thats what I use...it doesnt crust....and smooths really well....does she use hot water or just a cold spatula to smooth??

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 12

I buy my icing from a lady in town who manufactures the best BC I've ever tasted. (Dixie's Finest Whipped Icing) It doesn't crust, either. I know that part of the process involves cooking some ingredients. If you keep adding more powdered sugar it will finally crust.

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 12

No...it's not IMBC or SMBC...this I certain. She makes 2 or 3 large batches and they sit out in the open all day. It was just really creamy and smooth and that's why I wondered about the cream.

Anyway, thanks and I will let you guys know any secrets that I learn.

Wanda

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

No...it's not IMBC or SMBC...this I certain. She makes 2 or 3 large batches and they sit out in the open all day. It was just really creamy and smooth and that's why I wondered about the cream.

Anyway, thanks and I will let you guys know any secrets that I learn.

Wanda

Please do! icon_wink.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:

Somethig I noticed today was that her buttercream does not crust. It also smoothes like a dream.

She's probably a "closet" SugarShack'er!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And that's why she doesn't want to share her secret!

But do watch and learn! Wow, sounds like you are in a great job!! icon_biggrin.gif

What's a closet SugarShack'er? I'm still trying to catch onto some of the lingo on here icon_biggrin.gif

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 12

Congrats on your new decorationg job.

I wonder what kind of buttercream it is. Keeps us informed of any recipes or techniques that might be useful to us in the future.

Ejoy.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 12

Congratulations on your new job!!! Hope you love it and learn lots of stuff!! I was going to say that with the colour it was probably SMBC or IMBC but if it's not, then I don't know....but it does sound like it has the properties of them...

Let us know ..I'm curious.

Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%