Dad's 60Th Surprise Birthday

Baking By buckeyecakes Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm by BCJean

buckeyecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyecakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 layer cake for my Dad's surprise 60th B-day party. I am using his favorite chocolate cake recipe - but I want to make it special with a surprise filling between the layers. Does anyone have a good filling recipe (that does not require refridgeration) that would make the cake extra special? Any recommendations would be greatly appriciated. My email is '[email protected]'

5 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome aboard WBardnell! Here is a great new thread with a wonderful website for fillings attached.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-483683-fillings.html

Here is a CC acronyms list for ya also:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Remember to show-n-tell when you finish the cake.

HTH icon_wink.gif

buckeyecakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the links to the fillings - the Rasp White Choc Mousse sounds wonderful - Just what I needed -can't wait to try it! thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I'm trying many of them also and love them.

buckeyecakes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 6

This was my first attempt at decorating a cake, and I'm self-taught, but my father loved the cake. icon_smile.gif It was chocolate with white chocolate/raspberry filling and all buttercream icing. My biggest issue was getting the right icing consistency. First is was too stiff, then I made it too thin, that's why the top and bottom borders are "drooping" icon_redface.gif - any advise on how to know the icing is just right? I would be very greatful!!
LL

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 6

I love your cake...it is perfect for a man's birthday. You did a really neat job on it. I like your buckeyes also.
I like that you are self taught. It makes you use your imagination more and it lets you develop a style, all your own.
I have been decorating with buttercream icing for over 30 years now, and love it. When I make the icing I just go exactly by the recipe and I never, add or take away, liquid. I just use it...both for icing the cake, and decorating.
If you want to test it, I would say, run a spatula through it. You should be able to do this easily..but the path the spatula made should hold in place, and not fall back in.
Keep up the good work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%