Holiday Platter

Baking By Suzie757 Updated 5 Nov 2006 , 1:36pm by kneadacookie

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 11

HI THERE !! I KNOW THIS IS SOMEWHERE IN THE FORUMS BUT I CAN'T FIND IT. I AM LOOKING FOR IDEAS ON WHAT TO PUT ON HOLIDAY PLATTERS. I AM TRYING TO DIFFERENT THINGS OTHER THAN THE STANDARD COOKIES. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR SOME IDEAS ON WHAT TO CHARGE FOR THEM. THANKS EVERYONE icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 11

me too!!!

bump

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 11

I'd love to know what others are doing, too. I have trouble finding enough cookies with different different textures and shapes to make a nice presentation. This will be my first year even trying to market the platters but I am including a white chocolate cranberry, a ginger spice and also my Grandmother's fudge. I'd like to do some sort of mini pecan pies too. Want to do maybe pinwheels and Linzer tarts, just because they are pretty and a little bit different. Looking forward to hear what others have to say...especially about pricing.

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 11

How about some peanut brittle or peppermint bark or fudge or some other kind of candy. It gives something different to the platter and is usually very cheap to make.

Pricing is more difficult to help with because so much of that depends on your location. What I've done, though, is break all my recipes down into an Excel spreadsheet and price them out. Then I determine how much of that recipe is going into a gift basket or onto a holiday platter and multiply that by 3 or 4 to cover my labor cost. This can take a very long time to get set up, but once it's done, it's very handy. There are several posts about a price matrix. I looked at it, and it's basically the same thing I'd already set up for myself. Might be a good place for you to start, though.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 11

I also include shortbreads with little pieces of red and green cherries on them and another tradition of our family are sweet mince tarts. I also find that squares or bars are a big hit I love the choc peanut butter bars and yum yum squares are great. Home made mint patties are also nice for after dinner and you can do them in xmas colours. Another hit is cookies with bits of crushed candy canes on them. I have to also say that the price depends on whats on the platter some things are more expensive to make than others.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:41am
post #6 of 11

How about some meringues?

Christmas just isn't Christmas without Raspberry Meringue Kisses in our house.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:57am
post #7 of 11

I made chocolate covered Ritz cracker with peanut butter in the middle last year and everyone loved them. Here is the picture of the platter with chocolate Christmas light.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=sue_dye&cat=0&pos=45

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:10am
post #8 of 11

What about chocolate dipped pretzels? They're easy and yummy. You could do the traditional pretzel shape or the thick stick ones.

CookieChef - I LOVE pecan tassies. I bake them in the mini cupcake pan and drizzle with melted chocolate. Those would be a fantastic part of a holiday tray!

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:46am
post #9 of 11

Love pecan tassies too. Undecided right now but I'm thinking of maybe doing a pecan bar that's a jump from the norm. A recipe that I tried recently has a shortbread type crust, topped with carmelized pecans and a touch of honey. Very yummy. Cut in squares or diamonds. it might be a nice change from the other round shapes.

Chocolate covered pretzels are always a winner. So easy and fun.

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 11

I am getting so hungry reading all these ideas !!! You guys are the best for inspiration !!! icon_biggrin.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 11

bright white powdered sugar russian teacakes are nice amongst a sea of tan & chocolate cookies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%