Does Pettinice Fondant Dry Hard?

Decorating By flavacakes Updated 5 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm by flavacakes

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 9

I am using fondant for the first time and am wondering if it gets hard to where it's hard to cut? I confused because I made baby shoes out of fondant and if that gets hard...does it get hard on a cake? I am using Pettinice fondant. Also, is it a big pain to color the fondant?

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 9

Here's what I found:

http://tinyurl.com/yha668

HTH

flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, that does help. So when it says trim, does that mean to use a scissors and trim the top edge off all around the cake?

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

trim around it using your knife

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #6 of 9

I love working with fondant and have always trimmed the bottom with a small, sharp kitchen knife. Last night I used a pizza cutter just to try it and it worked great!! I did have to watch the pressure so as not to cut through onto the cakeboardicon_smile.gif
Color your fondant just like you would your icing, with a toothpick a little at a time.

flavacakes Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:36am
post #7 of 9

OK, I did my first fondant cake tonight. Now I know why they are expensive! I felt like charging $100 by the time it was done! icon_lol.gif I almost gave up because it kept sticking to my mat so I was just going to keep it buttercream and then I decided to give it one more try... glad I did cuz it worked. I ended up really liking it although I don't know how you all don't get those creases around the sides!! That was driving me nuts!! So there are a couple of creases in it but otherwise I was fairly happy with it. Thanks for all your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 9

It took me a little while to figure out how to cover the cake with no creases. What works for me is to roll out my fondant bigger than the cake so there is a lot of excess around the bottom of the cake. Then, when smoothing start at the top and work your way down. Don't even touch the creases at the bottom until you get there. Then when you get to a crease pull it out from the cake and gently smooth it down. Do this with all the creases. It just takes some practice! Good luck!

Courtney

flavacakes Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Courtney!! I'll definately do that next time! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%