Wax Paper!! Never Again!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm by ctackett

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, so I FINALLY bought some parchment paper to bake my scones on and decided to try lining my cake pan with it today. Just took out of oven and flipped and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just lifted right off. No moisture keeping it on the cake. Looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me a while to get on the parchment paper band wagon but hey, better late than never huh?

Amy icon_rolleyes.gif

21 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 22

I have started using it the last few months also - and I agree, it is great. I use it for everything.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 22

Glad you switched over! I use it all the time! Even for rolling out cookies. It's great stuff!.

_________
-Rezzy

cakemommy Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 22

For rolling out cookie dough huh? HMMMMM!!! Will definately have to try that what with the "baking" holidays coming up!

Thanks for another great tip!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Amy

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 22

I love using parchment...I line all my round, square and sheet cake pans before baking...and you can flip the parchment over and use them again for baking the second layer (after you wash your pans, of course!)...

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

For rolling out cookie dough huh?

it is PERFECT for rolling out cookie dough! No sticking whatsoever!

I still use wax paper for lining cake pans because it is so much cheaper than parchment.

Wandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandao Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 22

I have used parchment paper to line my baking sheet for cookies...does wax paper work the same way?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I still use wax paper for lining cake pans because it is so much cheaper than parchment.

LOL... that is why you ask for it for christmas and birthdays! Oh you bet I have! Last chirstmas I got 5 rolls and about 3 months later for my birthday I was asking for more! Unfortunately I still have the 4 rolls I got in march b/c I haven't had a chance to bake much icon_cry.gif

I am another parchment fan, it is a little more expensive, but I never have to worry about anything, it is worth the extra cost for the peace of mind. When rolling out cookies I usually have 5 pieces:
1 rolling my cookie dough on,
1 with cookie cut out in the freezer chilling,
1 on the pan in the oven,
1 on the pan cooling the cookies, and
1 on the pan in the fridge cooling down getting ready for the oven

I know it sounds like a lot, but it goes so quick like this... expecially when I am making lots of rolled sugar cookies.... Otherwise for drop cookie it is just a couple of sheets.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 22

Welcome to the club! I have been using parchment paper for years. About 4 years ago, I found parchment sheets in my local restaurant supply store. They sell them in half and full sheet sizes. I buy the full sheet size and cut them down to whatever size I need. I also cut strips from the long side of the sheet and use them to collar my pans.

When you buy them in bulk, like I do, they are way less expensive than when you buy the rolls in the grocery store or supply store.

The best part - they're flat, so there is no curling when you try to lay it onto the pan.

Parchment sheets are available online. Here is a link with a few sources --

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/pastries-baking-general/32968-pre-cut-parchment-sheets.html

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LittleLinda Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandao

I have used parchment paper to line my baking sheet for cookies...does wax paper work the same way?

Wando, NO, not for cookies. The wax paper will burn. You can use it for cake because it's completely covered in the batter; but not for cookies and the like.

Leily, if I were to ask for something for a gift, I don't think parchment paper would make my top 100 list! But you just gave me a good idea to give it as one of those "extra" gifts people are always asking you to bring to bridal showers!

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #11 of 22

I used to use parchment for baking cookies, but since I found the Silpat mats, I switched, although I love parchment for other things...even making pouches to bake fish in!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #12 of 22

I don't have a comment about the waxed paper or parchment paper issue. But I do have a comment for WarEagle ~ ROLL TIDE ROLL!! icon_wink.gif

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #13 of 22

Ok...I have to ask a stupid question. I posted a topic a few weeks ago about my cakes sticking...I have switched to crisco w/flour spray and that works very good. My question is this (dumb as it may be)...if I use parchment paper to line the bottom of my cake pans, do I still spray them? And if I do, do I spray b4 I lay down the parchment or on top of the parchment??
I told you it was a stupid one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrea

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #14 of 22

I LOVE parchment paper icon_biggrin.gif I also buy it in the sheets in bulk. It's not that expensive in sheets and lasts forever like that. I use it for cooking cookies and scones. I don't have to worry about peanut butter cookies contaminating the pan (allergies) and I don't have to try scraping crusty jam from the sheet from jam-filled scones. I also use parchment for squishing tortillas on, I put a sheet of parchment over my cooling rack to keep it clean, I use it for FBCT, I cut it up and use it for doing flowers on the flower nail, my mom uses it for her hearth breads so they'll slide right into the oven, we put it under pies in the oven for if they bubble over...and I keep finding new uses for the stuff. It's great!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by afh0212

Ok...I have to ask a stupid question. I posted a topic a few weeks ago about my cakes sticking...I have switched to crisco w/flour spray and that works very good. My question is this (dumb as it may be)...if I use parchment paper to line the bottom of my cake pans, do I still spray them? And if I do, do I spray b4 I lay down the parchment or on top of the parchment??
I told you it was a stupid one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrea

Okay, it's not a stupid question. I made a WASC: greased the pan w/Crisco Crap (NOT spray oil), lined the pan, greased/floured PAPER and THEN poured in the cake batter.

BEST WASC in my entire life and it took ALL of my willpower to not eat the whole stinkin' cake!! Entire life!

Next time I baked a cake...got lazy...no paper, just grease/flour (AGAIN NOT using spray), and the cake was just ... well... okay. It wasn't dry, it wasn't sticking, it was just...okay. So for now on, cake lining and double greasing all the way! thumbs_up.gif

But I'm a hobby caker so I guess if I had to line like a thousand pans a day, it would definitely get old! Oh yeah, and people I work with? They LOVE my cakes -- and I think alot of the extra effort to line the pans is worth it.

Heck, I can do that while my KA is running icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:01am
post #16 of 22

No you do not need to spray at all. The parchment paper will help your cake come right out. Might have to loosen the sides a little but, voila!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:03am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle

I love parchment for other things...even making pouches to bake fish in!

I luv fish, I adore fish.... I haven't tried cooking fish in parchment! Do Tell please oh please!! icon_razz.gif

(so sorry to get all OT everyone!! Hope ya don't mind its not about the cake!)

LOVE the fish! icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

I luv fish, I adore fish....
LOVE the fish! icon_biggrin.gif

OK, so your avatar is a cat ... are you a cat or are you human? LOL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:07am
post #19 of 22

Hey, GI, I'm off topic here, but is the phrase "Crisco Crap" the new term for trans-fat free Crisco? I never use the stuff, just curious.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LittleLinda Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:43am
post #20 of 22

I like the new "no trans fat" crisco.

cakemommy Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:44pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Hey, GI, I'm off topic here, but is the phrase "Crisco Crap" the new term for trans-fat free Crisco? I never use the stuff, just curious.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for all the tips for parchment paper!!!! I'll definately try cooking fish in it.

Funny you mention the no trans fat Crisco. I just made some frosting the other day and yes it was some what warm in my kitchen but the frosting just shook in my bowl like it had too much liquid. I have made this recipe a gazillion times even in 90 + temps and have NEVER had it have that consistency. I had to add more ps! The icing is still not 100% and it's "shinier" if you will. You can just see the Crisco seeping out. I used the crusting buttercream recipe from here on CC. Maybe I should have added extra butter.

Amy

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #22 of 22

I also use parchement paper for decorating bags. Freezer paper is also good for decorating bags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%