Fillings ???

Decorating By simplysweetcakes Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm by cakesoncall

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 10

I am new to this and I have a question about fillings. I've heard of people using fruit preserves/jams but to me they are too sweet/corn syruppee. I tried some of the better brands and it still taste like something that should be on toast and not in a cake. Do you do something to the jam before filling the cake? What are y'all using for fruit fillings?

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 10

Alot of people mix the jam right into the BC icing and use that for filling.Not as sweet.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 10

I use things like Polaner All-Fruit in mine. I also use those sleeve fillings.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 10

I have used this apricot filling from the Wilton site...it has the consistency of jam when done but there is the option for amount of sweetness. It is very good but I increased the amount of Grand Marnier in it.. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cake_filling/apricotfilling.cfm

Hope that helps and welcome to the addictive world of CC !!!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 10

I am getting a lot of requests for lemon cake with lemon curd. Lemon curd is tart.
I know that is not going to help with most cakes but it is good with lemon or gingerbread.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 10

I like H&H sleeved fillings, very good straight, mixed with fruit or added to whipped Pastry Pride topping.
http://www.cybercakes.com/pastry_fillings.html

I also like a brand of Lemon curd found on the Jans and Jelly aisle of many supermarkets. Robertson's lemon curd.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 10

I came up with this recipe for a wedding cake I did last weekend. It was very yummy!!!
whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream with 1/4 c powdered sugar until thick.
Then i folded in 1 package cheesecake flavored pudding and one can rasberry cake filling ( found at Target, but rasberry jam would work too). Soooo good! I put this in a lemon cake, but would work great with any flavor.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 10

Hey, when you guys say you use those sleeve fillings and love them, what brands are you using? I bought one from my local restaurant supply store and it was the nastiest thing I've tasted since Wilton Fondant! icon_wink.gif If there are good ones out there, point me to 'em!! Please, that is! icon_wink.gif

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone...this helps alot. AND yes I am totally addicted to CC icon_biggrin.gif

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 10

I sometimes mix the preserves right into buttercream icing, but I usually use the sugar-free preserves, if available, so the final filling isn't overly sweet (I make a really sweet BC icing--my customers love it--and it just seems like sugar overkill if I use real sugary preserves).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%