Does Rose Nail Make A Hole????

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm by susies1955

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 11

I'm thinking of trying the nail in the batter trick for the first time tomorrow and I was wondering if it makes a whole? I'm doing a Wilton Puffed Heart cake and I don't want the top damaged in anyway OR could I just make it a rounded heart anyway by filling it in with more icing?
Thanks,
Susie

10 replies
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 11

it does leave a small hole but nothing a bit of icing won't cover. I've never had a problem with covering it up it should be fine.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 11

The whole is as big as the nail. Nothing to worry about.

susies1955 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 11

Ok, I'm confused then. How can it be just the nail size when you have the big part of it down. I mean doesn't it bake around the round part of the nail where you would put the icing for making a rose and when you pull that through it causes a good sized hole? THanks gals but I'm not thinking this right I guess.
Susie

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 11

Just treat it with release or shortening and flour like you do your pans and it should come out fine. Or better yet, grease it then stick it thru a piece of parchment paper, or your parchment liner if you use them, then give it a little twist when you remove it and wa-la.

Lueet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lueet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 11

You flip the cake over and pull it out the other side. The nail sinks to the bottom so it will not be surrounded by cake. There is a little bit of indent from the round part, but nothing that will be noticeable once it's iced.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 11

Susies1955, you aren't pulling the nail through once your cake is baked. When you flip the cake out of the pan, remove the nail from the underside and then all you have left is the tiny hole from the actual nail portion. thumbs_up.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 11

it leaves an indentation on the bigger end but it is VERY minimal and will not even be noticed - much better choice than sing the heater core which makes a bigger disturbance.

when you flip the cake out of the pan just remove the nail from the bottom side and pull up an out not through so all you have is a small hole on the top the size of the stem of the nail and a ver small indentation on the bottom- no worries!!

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 11

it leaves a hole the size of the 'nail' part of the flower nail....the part flat part of the flower nail, (the part of it you actually put frosting on the make a rose) goes against the bottom of your pan (so your flower nail is upside down)...so when flip your pan over to get your cake out of the pan, all you have to do is grab the flat part of the flower nail once your cake had come out of the pan and pull the flower nail out of the cake...then flip cake over and all you should see is a hole the size of a 'nail'....does that make sense?...

susies1955 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 11

Wow, wow, wow, so many responses. Thanks so much. I think I get it now. icon_smile.gif I will be sure to put some home made cake release stuff that I learned to make here.
I am GOING to give it a whirl tomorrow.
Susie

susies1955 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

.........all you have to do is grab the flat part of the flower nail once your cake had come out of the pan and pull the flower nail out of the cake...then flip cake over and all you should see is a hole the size of a 'nail'....does that make sense?...

Yes, it makes sense. My flip over the first top is the top of my cake when you are doing the character/shaped cakes. I'm doing the puffed heart so I was concerned about the big part coming out of the what would be the top of my cake. I can see now from all of you experts that it will work out just fine.
Thanks so much for everyone's help. icon_smile.gif
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%