Why Are People So Gross?!

Lounge By vww104 Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 6:12am by sueco

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:01am
post #1 of 19

I went to Whole Foods today after work. Their salad bar always looks so good and fresh so I decided to get something healthy to eat for dinner. As I was putting lettuce in my container I looked over and saw a man sticking his fingers into the broccolli and eating it, like he was getting peanuts from the bowl at the neighborhood bar!! I was horrified and I couldn't control myself, so I loudly said, "are you sticking your fingers in the broccolli?!" He looked startled and honestly he really looked like he was not altogether with it. I then said loudly "that's disgusting!". Then he ran off! (Ok, he was a grown man about 6', I'm only 5'1") Of course there was no way I could get salad at that point. So I told an employee that they needed to replace the broccolli. I know that gross things happen all the time, but to witness it? UUUGGGGHHH!!!

18 replies
bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:10am
post #2 of 19

ICK! Good for you for saying something to him! Now that's making me think twice about the salad bar icon_eek.gif

-Lisa

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #3 of 19

EEEkkkkk!! icon_eek.gif I hate that!!

I saw a man at Bi-Lo stick his hands in the olives & eat a couple, for free, I was like whaaa icon_confused.gif People ANNOY me!! I mean do they really think thats what its there for icon_rolleyes.gif

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:36am
post #4 of 19

That IS gross! You know what baffles me, is that there are so many people that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom!! icon_eek.gif Have you ever noticed that when you're in a public bathroom? EEEWWWW!!

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 19

Well, I've worked in many restaurants and food industry places, and let me tell you that you probably don't want to know what goes on behind the scenes. tapedshut.gif

flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 19

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OMG!! Like what?

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 19

I would have said something too.

I, too have worked at many different restaurants, and it's a shock to see what goes on behind some of those doors!

flavacakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 19

Are you guys serious?! icon_surprised.gif What kind of stuff do they do?? icon_confused.gif

auntiem26 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 19

Um, well, food falling on the floor, basic cleanliness, and even personal hygene of the chefs. Not nice stuff. But it's rare, so don't decide to NEVER eat out again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 19

It is gross also when people man handle the fruit and vegatables in the produce dept and sneeze etc...I see that all the time!! No wonder I hardly buy fruit.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 19

I worked in an "upscale" gourmet food store, that put samples of their products out every day for the public to try. I would see people stick their fingers in a jar, lick them, and then go back in for another taste...my motto-never, ever, try a sample that is put out for public consumption-unless it is something baked by a CC baker icon_wink.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 19

I've seen meat, bread, etc. dropped on the floor and then people would pick it back up & put it on the plate.

I've also seen misuse of utensils while preparing food. They get dropped on the floor, or when something touches raw eggs, they'll use it to do something else with.

One time a friend of mine was at a restaurant and she saw one of the workers go to the bathroom with her rubber gloves on. She then saw the lady come back out of the bathroom, with.....her rubber gloves on.

auntiem26 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 19

Ok, that rubber glove thing is gross. icon_surprised.gif

flavacakes Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 19

Yeah, that is gross...eew.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 19

EWWWWWWWWWW!! I'm so grossed out! I worked at a few restaurants and they were all fine until I worked at on in Center City Philadelphia...it seemed clean until one morning I was getting the breakfast stuff ready and I heard a squeak coming from aruond the coffee maker and there was a mouse ( still alive!!) stuck in the trap so one of the cooks got a broom and smashed it!! I quit that week i was horrified

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #16 of 19

some people really have no idea. I hate people who touch every bread in the bakery before they buy one. Or the ones who smell and touch everythe fruit or tomatoe before they pick one. At least with the fruit you can wash them but you cann't wash bread. so i end up buying bread in the plastic but i would prefere to buy the loose and fresh ones. icon_sad.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:30am
post #17 of 19

I honestly don't know if I can ever eat at that salad bar again, and everything always looks so good!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:59am
post #18 of 19

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.....

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Bon Appetit'......................NOT!!!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:12am
post #19 of 19

In high school I worked in a bakery and this one baker named Crazy Joe was kneading a bunch of dough with a cigarette in his mouth. The ash on the cigarette was almost as long as my finger. It fell onto the dough, and he just kept right on kneading. It was so gross!
On a side note, has anyone seen the movie "Waiting"? It's about the goings on behind the scenes in a restaurant that's similar to a chain restaurant like Friday's or Bennigan's, etc. It's not for the faint of heart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%