I'm A Nervous Wreck!

Baking By MAGGISMITH Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 3:39am by Jesjacster2

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #1 of 11

The last stacked wedding cake that I made was picked up by the caterer who called an hour later and said it had fallen apart. I had to re-bake and decorate the entire cake! I have another cake this weekend and I'm a nervous wreck! I won't have enough time to decorate it at the reception site so I have to transport it stacked. Any suggestions?
Maggi

10 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #2 of 11

Dowel the hell out of it and drive slowly!! And NEVER let anyone pick up a cake!!! I'm so sorry you have to do this!! Good luck!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGISMITH

The last stacked wedding cake that I made was picked up by the caterer who called an hour later and said it had fallen apart. I had to re-bake and decorate the entire cake! I have another cake this weekend and I'm a nervous wreck! I won't have enough time to decorate it at the reception site so I have to transport it stacked. Any suggestions?
Maggi

What is the situation with time at the reception? You don't have to decorate once you get there, have it all done except for the stacking, and depending on the style, maybe bottom borders. It can take as little as 15 minutes to assemble on site if you're organized and have your supplies ready to go.

MAGGISMITH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 11

The reception is at a yacht club on the beach. They have another affair going on and said I would only be allowed to set up my cake 1/2 hour before the reception begins! As for the comment about never letting anyone else deliver my cakes, I certainly have learned that the hard way. icon_sad.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:14am
post #5 of 11

That makes it tougher, for sure. What style of cake are you doing?

Melvira Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:14am
post #6 of 11

Oh Maggi... I wish I could come help you!! I had a nightmare one time where they sent a 17 year old boy to pick up a two tiered cake, and he burnt rubber pulling away. I was in tears, but there was nothing I could do!! From now on, the only pick up orders I allow are single tiers, and once they pick it up, it's not my problem any more!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Edited to add: I don't mean it was a nightmare like I dreamt it, I mean it really happened, and it was like watching a nightmare!!!

MAGGISMITH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:40am
post #7 of 11

Melvira, you're a doll! The wedding cake is a three tiered, stacked, all buttercream cake with with white chocolate sea shells and coral. The bride also wants me to put sand (crumbs and sugar, of course) around the base of the cake and write their initials in it. It's a pretty simple design, I just had a thought that maybe I could assemble it in the kitchen (if there is one!).

Melvira Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:59am
post #8 of 11

That doesn't sound too bad! At least you won't be standing there doing scrollwork, etc. Depending on how far you are traveling, you may or may not want to stack it before you go. I'd say, take each layer seperately, when you get there, stack them and place the coral, etc. Then do the 'sand' and their initials! I think you can pull that off in half an hour!! I have total faith in you!

MAGGISMITH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:08am
post #9 of 11

I'm going to think positive and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for your kind words!
Maggi

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 11

The only tip I can give you is that a cold cake travels much, much better than one at room temp. If the cake can be refrigerated overnight, that's the best. Good luck!

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:39am
post #11 of 11

can't help but I send my well wishes..so sorry about the last cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%