Strawberry Buttercream...any Suggestions?

Decorating By laneysmom Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 3:56am by sarge1

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making a cake this weekend for a baby shower. The mom-to-be wants strawberry swiss meringue buttercream between the layers. I've never flavored SMB with anything other than extracts so I think I may be out of my element. Should I just add pureed Strawberries, or would a fruit spead be better? I'm just wondering how the buttercream will hold up with that much of an additive.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 14

Add a thick strawberry jam to the icing without seeds.That would be wonderful!!!

laneysmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, kiddiekakess! I was thinking along those lines as well.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 14

My Daughters name is Delaney..Laney for short! Is that your daughters name too??

laneysmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 14

Yup! And she is also 3 1/2 years, as well! Small world!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 14

What about adding strawberry Loran Oil?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 14

hey laneysmom....where ya at in South Jersey I'm in S. Jersey too!! Really small world!

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 14

When I did my dtrs wedding cakes we did a raspberry butter cream filling that was simply delish! I used Polander seedless raspberry and really stiff butter cream. I would do the same with the strawberry and you should have great results!

laneysmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

hey laneysmom....where ya at in South Jersey I'm in S. Jersey too!! Really small world!

I'm way down south in Cape May. And you?? (Until you move to Ohio, that is)

laneysmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 14

Bakequeen,

I'm hoping to avoid using extracts/oils to get a more natural strawberry taste. I hadn't thought about Lorann, though. I do like their flavors better than supermarket extracts.

Thanks!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 14

I'm in Gloucester Co. in Washington twp. Turnersville area...don't know if you know where that is??

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 14

my grandma used to cream butter and sugar till fluffy and add strwaberrys to it. she used that as the filling for her pound cake. its really yummy. the only thing is i dont have any quantities. you could try 1 part of each.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 14

I actually made strawberry filling last night! I took a 16 oz bag of strawberries (frozen, didn't have fresh) and put them in a pot with 1 cup of water, 3 T of cornstarch and 3/4 cup sugar and cooked it until it was thick. I wanted a strawberry layer with a layer of whipped cream on it so it was essentially a double layer filling - but I bet you could take my mixture and just fold it into your buttercream and make it a wonderful buttercream filling!! thumbs_up.gif

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:56am
post #14 of 14

Not sure if it's too late for this or not, but I found your post while answering another post. I have this recipe, which I have not actually tried:

strawberry (or raspberry) meringue buttercream

10 oz frozen strawberries or raspberries, thawed
1 1/4 C sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp water
5 large egg whites at room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C unsalted butter at room temp

Puree strawberries with syrup. Strain into a small non-aluminum lined saucepan to remove seeds. Heat puree to boiling; reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Cool. In another small saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, lemon juice and water. Heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil without stirring 5 minutes or until syrup reaches 240 F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage). Meanwhile, in a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time. With mixer running, gradually pour in boiling syrup. At high speed, beat 8 minutes or until meringue is thick, glossy, and cool.
Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, beat butter until smooth. Beat in meringue, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat strawberry puree into mixture, and beat 2 minutes or until light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%