Clean My New Airbrush??

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 8:10pm by JanetBme

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 14

So i finally took the plunge and bought a badger 350-3 airbrush. Its not top of the line or bottom for that matter, but with a 50% off coupon at Michaels I went for it. I figured it would be good enough for the little amount that I will use it.

I finally found the Chefmaster airbrush colour at a place in the city, but they didn't carry the cleaner. Odd I know. So does anyone have any tips for cleaning out the airbrush after I use it.

Can I just use warm water and flush it through till its clear??
Or Vodka?? or Vinegar???
Thanks everyone.

13 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 14

We always just used water.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 14

When I am working on a cake I'll have a bowl of HOT water sitting next to my cake turntable. After every color use I dip the brush in the hot water and rinse it out. On occasion I need to use the cleaner. But for the most part the hot water works just fine. Just make sure that no color comes out after you rinse it. Also it's a good idea to take the corner of a paper towel and blot out the cup and around the endcap also. Just to get the extra junk n water out.
Just make sure that you don't let the airbrush colors dry in the airbrush. It'll make the trigger mechanism stick. Hot water will fix that but it's less frustrating if it's just rinsed after each use.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 14

Another CC'er posted that you can use plain old Windex to clean your brush out. The suggested cleaner smells strangely familiar to Windex as a matter of fact. I won't buy the factory issued cleaner any more- Windex is just fine. Just remember to rinse with plenty of hot water after you use it to make sure you got it all out (but you knew that already I am sure! icon_wink.gif )

-Michelle

Congrats on your new toy!!!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 14

This is good info, thanks guys

NolansMom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 14

The one i bought has the jar underneath the gun.(not the best kind i know, but good enough for now) do i just put the hot water in ther jar and spray it through??

chaptlps Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 14

yep
that's what i would do. And then after you've gotten the gun itself cleared out then I would wipe out the jar istelf with a paper towel to make sure that there weren't any moisture in there to cause it to go all funky on ya.

NolansMom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 14

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I can't wait till my hubby comes home today with my "paint"!!! I have a star wars cake this weekend with a lot of Black. I am so sick of trying to work with black MMF, so I bought an airbrush to do the entire cake in black. I figured at least this way It might not taste as bad, and will be way easier to work with.

Thanks again for everyones help!!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolansMom

The one i bought has the jar underneath the gun.(not the best kind i know, but good enough for now) do i just put the hot water in ther jar and spray it through??

Siphon feeds are my favorite kind!- Just pop the jar off- then stick the airbrush under the faucet -tip the hole up, and spray away until it is clean. You can also submerge it in a bucket of water without the jar on too- works exactly the same way. icon_smile.gif

If you are using a dark color or red- you might want to pull your needle and rinse it off too- those colors tend to stick in the barrel.

chaptlps Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 14

Here's a hint for your black cake hun, first paint the black parts royal blue and then paint the black. It'll keep it from fading and it'll be a nice dark black that way too. No grey icon_biggrin.gif

NolansMom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 14

Royal blue huh?? I was going to tint the fondant a grey shade and then paint it black. So this won't work??
Now I have to send my hubby back to the cake store for royal blue. lol

chaptlps Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 14

it'll work hun it's just a darker base so that you don't have grey spots showing through, You could use any dark color for the base it doesn't necessarily have to be blue
I just like blue because it makes the black pop if you will.
So no worries. All the blue suggestion was for was to make sure that you didn't have to overspray the black on there and get runs. The tinting idea is good. That will work.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks also for the info. I bought an air-master about a month ago and haven't had to chance to use it yet. So your saying all you have to do is just rince it out with windex or hot water. Does it need to come apart at all to clean? I guess i am scared to take it apart and have it not go back together right. Thanks to all replies.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ

Thanks also for the info. I bought an air-master about a month ago and haven't had to chance to use it yet. So your saying all you have to do is just rince it out with windex or hot water. Does it need to come apart at all to clean? I guess i am scared to take it apart and have it not go back together right. Thanks to all replies.

No you don't have to take it apart unless there is something stuck in there. But always use water- You only need to use windex if it needs a good cleaning- or well, it cleans quicker than water.

I dump the cup, then stick it under the faucet- push the trigger like you are spraying color and let it run clean... If it seems to not come clean- spray in the windex, then spray it thru like you were painting with windex- then stick it under the faucet...That should work for everyday cleaning- unless you leave it to dry with color in it. (which I don't recommend- but I do it all the time)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%