Cake Stress

Decorating By ckkerber Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 9:46pm by ckkerber

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #1 of 12

I made a cake this weekend for my step-niece (my sister's stepdaughter). She lives out of state and rarely visits so when I heard she was coming the weekend of her birthday, I was so excited to make a cake. My sister didn't want a big cake around the house so I kept it simple - just did a six inch. I was very excited because the cake gods have not noticed me yet and I struggle with each and every one that I decorate. I have yet to have that happy, blissful cake experience. I only do a couple of cakes a month (if that) and so I'm not practicing enough and I'm not ever really getting better at this. In fact, I think I was much better when I first started and I've taken a few steps back and gotten stuck. ANYWAY, I was excited because this was a quick, easy, simple cake. I made the WBH Freckled Mocha cake (soooo good!) and was going to simply ice it with IMBC. I had never tried it and so I figured what better time to experiment than when you've got a super simple cake, right? Sure. So I make my first batch last night and the sugar totally crystallized on me. No problem. I figured I'd just get up and try again this morning. I was more successful with my sugar this morning and boiled the sugar and water without incident. The directions said to carefully pour the sugar mixture on the side of the bowl while mixing so as not to pour it into the beaters. Unbeknownst to me, the sugar mixture dripped down the side of the bowl and semi-hardened so when I ran my spatula around the sides, the hard crispy sugar incorporated into batch #2. Okay. Not doing IMBC today. So I made some chocolate buttercream. Iced the cake, was fairly pleased with it and was only slightly disgruntled by the 2 1/2 hours lost on this "simple" cake. In the midst of all of the caking, my two little guys were in "let's pick on each other and make each other cry" mode all morning so my nerves were just about shot at this point. I boxed it up, headed out the door, showing my cute little cake off as I went. Then I went to load it in the car and dropped the darn box on it's side. I could have cried. Who am I kidding - I DID cry. Back into the house to make ANOTHER batch of buttercream, color some MORE MMF and try to repair the cake. I was able to do a decent job (icing wasn't smooth, cake had bulges but it was in one piece) and got the cake delivered without further incident. I'm very curious what happened when the cake was cut because I know there were spots that cracked and I'm sure it all just crumbled when the buttercream seal was broken.

I don't think I could EVER do cakes for customers. The few times I've done them for people outside of the family totally stressed me out and even though I repaired this cake, had it been a paying customer I'd never have felt good about sending the final cake out the door.

I'm at the point where I feel like I won't get any better at this until the boys are both in school (next year is kindergarten for my oldest, and then two years later my youngest goes off) and I have some real time to dedicate to this. I'm just feeling sorry for myself tonight . . . icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
LL
LL
LL

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #2 of 12

You know, it's still a really cute cake. You had a bad cake day, but everyone has those at some point or other. Be proud of yourself for not giving up on it. Most of the time that is all we do. Just gut it out and persevere to the finish line. That is what makes you a pro. The skills will come with practice, and having that much time until both kids are in school allows you to go at a comfortable pace, instead of feeling the need to pack it all in now.

Give yourself a pat on the back for the save, have a glass of wine, and relax! You've earned it. I'm sure she really enjoyed the cake, I would have! thumbs_up.gif

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #3 of 12

congratulations on a wonderful fix! I'm a klutz and I've shmutzed more than a few cakes. I try to fix them, but usually give up, or don't have enough ingredients on hand for another batch of BC. Thank goodness this is only a hobby. But It is frustrating when a cake doesn't go well, because lots of time and effort are put into them. The final cake is still very cute, and no one would have known by looking at it!

Quote:
Quote:

Give yourself a pat on the back for the save, have a glass of wine, and relax! You've earned it. I'm sure she really enjoyed the cake, I would have!

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #4 of 12

The cake is still very cute. You did a great job! I know how you feel. Mine will start kindgarten next year and my other son 2 years later. It is very hard to practice with young children. I do mine after everyone is in bed, so i am usually cleaning up at 2 in the morning. LOL! Again, you did a great job!

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 12

The cake is still very cute. You did a great job! I know how you feel. Mine will start kindgarten next year and my other son 2 years later. It is very hard to practice with young children. I do mine after everyone is in bed, so i am usually cleaning up at 2 in the morning. LOL! Again, you did a great job!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 12

That cake is too cute...even after "surgery." I went to your photos and must say that I think all of your cakes look good. I expected to see some pretty bad cakes afetr your post, but I think you have a talent. If you love it, keep at it! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbynicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbynicole Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 12

good work on fixing the cake. It looks fine after the tumble. When I start to make my cake I always put a bit of buttercream on the cake board before the first layer of cake. It helps keep it in place, and some sliding can be avoided.

meringue buttercream is a bit challenging at first. But well worth it. It's not grainy as with just icing sugar, and holds up nicely.

To stop the sugar from crystalizing add a few drops of lemon juice, or cream of tartar. The acid will help keep the sugar from inverting. You can't even taste it with all the sugar, and butter. and always rinse the crystals off the side of the pot with water, and a small paint brush. When the sugar hardens before being in the meringue you have cooked it too long. I always use a digital therm. (make sure it is calibrated) and I always pull the sugar off a couple of degrees early. (never over 118 C) The sugar has so much heat it continue to cook while you pull the pot off the stove, and then into the mixer. I hope these tip will help your next batch of bc.

ckkerber Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbynicole

good work on fixing the cake. It looks fine after the tumble. When I start to make my cake I always put a bit of buttercream on the cake board before the first layer of cake. It helps keep it in place, and some sliding can be avoided.

meringue buttercream is a bit challenging at first. But well worth it. It's not grainy as with just icing sugar, and holds up nicely.

To stop the sugar from crystalizing add a few drops of lemon juice, or cream of tartar. The acid will help keep the sugar from inverting. You can't even taste it with all the sugar, and butter. and always rinse the crystals off the side of the pot with water, and a small paint brush. When the sugar hardens before being in the meringue you have cooked it too long. I always use a digital therm. (make sure it is calibrated) and I always pull the sugar off a couple of degrees early. (never over 118 C) The sugar has so much heat it continue to cook while you pull the pot off the stove, and then into the mixer. I hope these tip will help your next batch of bc.

Thanks so much for the tips - I'll be using them when I decide to attack the IMBC beast again! Someone recommended I stick to SMBC . . . what are the differences?

Basically, I just really need to use a thermometer and not rely on "timing".

I did put a big old glob of buttercream on the cake board under the cake - but this thing fell from my hands smack down on the pea gravel driveway. No amount of buttercream was going to keep that in place! Grrr!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

I was going to suggest trying the SMBC instead. I havent made IMBC because it seemed a little more challenging. I think they are supposed to taste pretty much the same.

With SMBC you heat the sugar and eggwhites. I dont even use a thermometer becasuse when the sugar has dissolved it is over the temp you need the eggs to get to. Does that make sense? so when you dont feel anymore sugar in the bowl, it is done.

Then you whip it into a meringue and then add the butter. It is pretty easy.

ckkerber Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, Merissa. I will be trying that next. I should know better than to experiment when I have a cake due! I never seem to be able to justify whipping up a batch of buttercream just for the sake of experimentation, though.

vemorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vemorgan Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 12

I am right there with you about feeling cake stress. My husband (wonderful man that he is) supports me in whatever I decide to do. When I decided to start decorating cakes, he bought me all kinds of different tools, pans, etc.
I've made a few cakes here and there, but mostly before my kids were born. Since then I've made birthday cakes for my kids and few for friends' children. I still got to decorate my sister's wedding cake, but I had to bring babysitters with me and it took me a week!
My eldest daughter's fourth birthday was in June, and I had so much cake stress that I went and bought a bakery cake and put cake toppers on it! Today is my twins' second birthday and for their party on Sunday, I'm making cupcakes (with a mix), topping with white frosting (from a can), and sticking picks in the top!
It's like I don't even like to decorate cake anymore. icon_cry.gif

ckkerber Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 12

redhotmomma - I hear you loud and clear! My youngest is turning three in two weeks and I am so tempted to buy a store bought cake. I won't because he wants Dumbo, one of our horses, and pirates all seamlessly blended into one cake design so I need to sweat that one out - but I'm tempted!!! (he mentioned Ninja Turtles, too, the other day when talking about his cake but he doesn't very clearly so I'm pretending I didn't hear that part!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%