Bulk Cake Mix?

Business By alicegop Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm by mmgiles

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #1 of 11

I know you can get bulk cake mix from Sysco and places like this, but I would like to continue to use the Betty Crocker cake mixes. (please no comments on making scratch cakes). It is amazing to me how much the price varies on boxes of cake mix. At Winco I can get the same box of mix for $0.88 that costs closer to THREE DOLLARS at the regular grocery store. Problem is that Winco doesn't always have the cake mix I want in stock (they stock a lot, but I guess there are other people like me who buy ALL of it when they go into the store). So I would prefer if I could buy the cake mix wholesale somewhere. I don't have a problem buying cases of it... but I want the regular boxes. Anyone know if you can do that?

10 replies
gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 11

i would contact the company and ask them who are the wholesale distibutors of it. From there i would call them and see what their minimum purchase is and see if you can buy off them regularly. Or they may also be able to refer you to someone who sells it in smaller wholesale lots.
Goodluck x

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:06am
post #3 of 11

I know you can with Duncan Hines but not sure about Betty Crocker. I will check for you....as soon as I find out who it was icon_redface.gif It's been awhile..when I was doing research on bulk items but didn't really need them at the time. icon_biggrin.gif

alicegop Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #4 of 11

That would be great, THANKS!

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #5 of 11

Or just get real friendly with your local general store manager. Maybe he can order stuff in, in exchange for cash or cake... dont be afraid to barter!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:22am
post #6 of 11

You could always just talk to the food manager at your Winco and ask if you can order your cake mixes monthly/semi-monthly from him. I have done this same thing with Walmart for over 2 years...I call the manager up, place my case order and walk in and pick up everything in boxes...cases of DH, powder sugar, eggs, margarine, and sour cream. So much easier...

alicegop Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:24am
post #7 of 11

That is a very good idea. I've thought of that... wasn't sure if I could do it.

THANKS!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:10am
post #8 of 11

I have finally found a walmart that will do that for me...let me order by the case. But man it was rough. I tried three targets and two walmarts before I found one that would work with me. I simply told them that I can come in and clean out their shelves or they can order an extra case for me! hahaha!

But I never heard of being able to order directly from DH! How did that work? I pay 88 cents a box right now. Is it cheaper? I would love to do that as to get more choices of product!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:25am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I have finally found a walmart that will do that for me...let me order by the case. But man it was rough. I tried three targets and two walmarts before I found one that would work with me. I simply told them that I can come in and clean out their shelves or they can order an extra case for me! hahaha!

But I never heard of being able to order directly from DH! How did that work? I pay 88 cents a box right now. Is it cheaper? I would love to do that as to get more choices of product!

DH doesn't sell their product directly...you have to go through a distributor. And from what a rep told me...there isn't a better deal out there than .88 a box regular price.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:51am
post #10 of 11

I'm not quite at the point of buying in bulk yet.

But the store manager at Krogers knows me and when I come in to buy, he's really helpful. I never thought about asking before hand. I usually will wait until it goes on sale then buy a lot.

Thanks for the good idea!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 11

I didnt know they had bulk cake mixes from Sysco. What is Sysco? Can anyone order or do you need a tax id number? What about Sams? Do they offer anything like that? How does that work? Is it one big bag and you use something like 2 cups of mix with 3 eggs and 1 cup of water (ex only)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%