"flying Bugs" And Rice Paper Wings-Help?

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 2 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm by luvscakes

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #1 of 8

Hi again!

I am attempting to make some bugs flying around on wire. I got out out my rice paper tonight to see how the wings would work. I painted them with luster dust after I cut them out and laid them on wax paper. Now they have all curled up and are all distorted!
Does anyone know how I can do this or what I did wrong? I've been searching this sight today but haven't found anything and with 4 young kids I don't have tonz of time!
Thanks!
-Ivy

7 replies
hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

Sorry I don't know but I will see if I can find something for you and if I do I will post it

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:54am
post #3 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/article16-How-To-Make-Realistic-Edible-Butterflies.html

spread a very thin layer of decorating gel on the wings

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:29am
post #4 of 8

I will be glad to print wings for you and mail them to you. All you would have to do is spread a very thin layer of piping gel on them. I place them on a cooling rack and sit them on top of a lamp shade. The heat from the bulb helps dry them very fast. Also, I have found if you sprinkle edible glitter on them it helps dry them faster too and makes cutting them out so much easier. I am not sure when you need them but if I can help I will be glad to. If you don't have time try letting the colors dry and spread the very thin layer of piping gel with an offset spatula. The thinner the quicker it will dry. If it is not humid where you are and you use my method of setting them on a lamp you may have them overnight ready to cut out.

luvscakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you! Thank you!
I did look at the how to on the butterflies some time ago and completely forgot all about the piping gel!
I don't need this cake done until the 21st- I just wanted to A-Try the things I have never done well ahead of time, and B- Get as many of the little molded things out of the way so that they can dry and because I have other cakes due around the same time.
Do you mean print them out with an edible printer? That is so nice of you to offer!! They are just wings, and really only a few because the cake is actually frog themed. I'm just throwing a few bugs. I should be able to do that pretty easily don't you think? Being how you have done it before and I have not, I'll go by whatever you say!
Thanks!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 8

Try drawing, painting your wings again, on the rice paper, let them dry. Then apply the piping gel and let them dry, again. (Placing the drying wings over a lamp is a wonderful idea.) Then cut them out. You should have fewer problems with curling.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 8

I use my printer with food coloring and rice/wafer paper all of the time! It has paid for itself so many times I cannot count. I am sure you can do it by drawing and painting if you want to try it. The piping gel is the trick but also sprinkle just a little clear edible glitter flakes on them after you spread piping gel. It adds so much with the little bit of sparkle and truly helps cutting them out. Recently I had an order for 200 of my butterflys to be shipped from Texas to NJ for a wedding cake. They rode (flew) in the cardboard egg crates I had saved from my 2 1/2 dozen eggs I buy all of the time. The glitter flakes kept them from sticking to everything. Enjoy and have fun!

luvscakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much Ladies- I'm so glad that I decided to try this early! I'm packing up the crew to drive to our local cake supply store to see if they have piping gel, if not I have time to order some online.
Lapazlady- That is where my hubby and I went on our Honeymoon! We were in your city for 2 weeks. Staying at the El Morro where my grandparens have some timeshare thing. Boy did we have fun! We whale watched, snorkled with the sea-lions, shopped alot, and ate the best sea food! We have always wanted to take our children back down there- Maybe this summer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%