Pourable Cookie Icing

Baking By KellyZ Updated 3 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm by nikki1201

KellyZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyZ Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 4

I am looking for hints and tips for icing cookies. My favorite icing recipe uses raw egg whites, and the people the cookies are for are not into that. I tried Wilton's pourable cookie icing recipe but wasn't too happy with the results. Has anyone had any success with this recipe?

3 replies
Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 4

Instead of using raw egg whites (I'm assuming that you're making Royal
Icing) why don't you purchase meringue powder and use that instead. That
way you don't have to worry about the raw egg part!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

I always make my royal icing with meringue powder, and it turns out great. I'm not very fond of the taste, however, especially on cookies.

I love Alice's cookie icing, found here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1961-Alices-Cookie-Icing.html

I think it tastes so much better than Royal, but it's similar to work with. My flower cookies were decorated with Alice's cookie icing:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=679223

You can also use rolled fondant (though I'd avoid Wilton's - ick!) or rolled buttercream to cover your cookies. Just roll it out and cut with the same cookie cutters and place on still-warm cookies, or brush cooled cookies with a little thinned corn syrup to attach. Then you can use royal or Alice's icing to add details.

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 4

I agree, I don't care for the taste of royal icing, but it does make for a very pretty cookie!

chocolateandpeanutbutter- Those cookies are *so* cute! I would love a YUMMY icing recipe to add to my box... but does it dry hard? It sounds good! I usually make tobas glace, with butter flavoring and vanilla... tastes like buttercream, but i cant always use it because of how transparent it tends to be. And I've tried adding more PS, but then it's kind of difficult to work with.... I've only made one icing with butter, to drizzle over oatmeal cookies, (butter, coffee-mate, and powdered sugar...) but it never hardened.... There was no meringue powder though. Maybe that, or a bit of corn syrup? It was absolutely mouth-watering, but i really wanted it to be like the grocery-store oatmeal cookie icing that dried hard...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%