Anyone Ever Paint Their Kitchen With An Airbrush??

Decorating By CakesByLJ Updated 3 Sep 2007 , 3:20am by JanetBme

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 12

Well, it's easy.. just turn on the ceiling fan and spray that cake red..... I used my airbursh for the first time since moving in a new house, and never gave that fan a thought. I have a coating of red all over everything in the whole kitchen... counters, walls, floor, and I am still cleaning it up... what a mess @#$#@#~~! Now, can anyone tell me how to use the luster dusts in your airbrush without getting it clogged up? I used everclear, and mixed it in a separate bowl before putting it into the airbrush, but it clogged up within seconds. Any suggestions? (I researched the forums without finding any answers)

11 replies
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 12

I'm so sorry to hear of your little mishap, but I have to admit that I did chuckle a bit...I've done crazy stuff like that more than once!!!

So about the luster dust thing...I actually use it in my airbrush all the time, but it has to be SUPER runny (I mix with vodka, so everclear should do the same thing). You will have to make lots of passes on your cake to get the color to build up. It is a slow process as too much in one place at one time will make it run (which I am sure you know since the airbrush paint does the same). Sounds to me like you just have to "water" it down even more than what you are doing.

I have a hexagon shaped cake on page 2 of my photos that I did in this manner after some tips from other CC'ers last year if you are interested in seeing it. Didn't turn out near as "metallic" looking as I had hoped for, but it worked.

Good luck with the airbrush....oh and even more luck with that red mist!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 12

msaur... thanks for your help, I will try thinning it down some more. Your hexagon cake looks great! Did you use super pearl, or another color? I was using champagne and loved the look, but it is hard to get that same look using a regular brush to put it on with, so thought the airbruch would be a better way to go...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 12

you definitely have to thin it some more!!! You need it waaaaaaayyyy runnier than you would have it if you were painting it on with a brush!! Oh and about painting the kitchen?? I do it every time I use my airbrush LOL If you wipe it up immediately it comes off really well....oh and clorox clean up dissolves that airbrush paint like crazy lol

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

you definitely have to thin it some more!!! You need it waaaaaaayyyy runnier than you would have it if you were painting it on with a brush!! Oh and about painting the kitchen?? I do it every time I use my airbrush LOL If you wipe it up immediately it comes off really well....oh and clorox clean up dissolves that airbrush paint like crazy lol

oh wow, that's good to know about the clorox; do you clean your airbrush with it also?
DH is in the kitchen, still cleaning up the red mist, haha

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 12

I got a few trifold display boards to set up around my cakes when I spray anything on it.

News paper galore under it... display boards around it.

I have a brand new table set and hubby would kill me if I painted it by accident.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

msaur... thanks for your help, I will try thinning it down some more. Your hexagon cake looks great! Did you use , or another color? I was using champagne and loved the look, but it is hard to get that same look using a regular brush to put it on with, so thought the airbruch would be a better way to go...

I used three different colors...I can't remember now what they were, but I think the green was Emerald. The other two were some other colors of Luster. I do use Super Pearl (on almost every cake) all the time as well...same thing....thin, thin, thin. Thanks for your compliments on my cake. icon_lol.gif

-Michelle

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I got a few trifold display boards to set up around my cakes when I spray anything on it.

News paper galore under it... display boards around it.

I have a brand new table set and hubby would kill me if I painted it by accident.

I have some of those display boards also... that's a great idea.. thanks!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 12

If you were using super pearl- just make sure to shake it alot (put your hand over the cup and shake it right before spraying) If it happened to be white sparkle-it is most likely too big to go thru your airbrush without clogging all the time-no matter how thin you make the mix. It really depends on your airbrush- but sparkle is too big for most. You can also up your psi a little to see if that makes a difference. If you are brushing on fondant you can have it well above 20psi and not have a problem..(not with buttercream tho) If you really are having a problem and don't want to thin it with everclear or vodka any thinner- then just back out your needle a hair- Just make sure you are aiming the right place when you airbrush that way- because it will immediately spray when you touch the trigger button.

JanetBme Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 12

oh yeah- clorox in your brush is NOT a good idea... Maybe you could if it was cut with ALOT OF WATER- but I don't think straight Chlorine bleach goes well with the interior brass of your airbrush...It seems like it could cause some sort of reaction- I could be wrong tho. Maybe that is a good chemistry question-

CakesByLJ Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

oh yeah- clorox in your brush is NOT a good idea... Maybe you could if it was cut with ALOT OF WATER- but I don't think straight Chlorine bleach goes well with the interior brass of your airbrush...It seems like it could cause some sort of reaction- I could be wrong tho. Maybe that is a good chemistry question-

JanetBme, thanks for the advice.. I will give it another try; and the clorox too - really glad I hadn't done it yet. I ordered some more airbrush cleaner today, as I have been out since I last used it. We moved last year, and I had not unpacked my airbrush till yesterday. I also threw most of my colors away, as I was afraid of leakage in shipment.
I see that Lucks is making gold and silver airbrush colors now; www.countrykitchensa.com; and I ordered some to see how it works. I wish they made it in the luster dusts as well.... maybe in time...

JanetBme Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #12 of 12

You can clean it with Windex- you don't need to order airbrush cleaner... Just soak your brush in straight windex- then wash it out really well with plain ole water- then before you use it with color, run everclear or vodka thru it. Don't leave your airbrush in the windex for more than a few hours- unless you really have to soak something out. But for everyday cleaning, just stick it under the water faucet and press the trigger- or you can do the same with a bucket of water. Submerge it and press the trigger. I know some people do soapy water- but I worry too much about getting the soapy taste out- I imagine airbrushing a cake and it tasting like soap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%