What Else Could Go Wrong!?! Long, Sorry

Decorating By cncgirl00 Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 1:15am by Michele25

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:12am
post #1 of 21

My SIL asked me if I would make a retirement cake for her boss--no problem, I think. I talk her out of the monster cake that would feed 144 people because there will be only 45 or so at the party. She finally decides on one out of the Wilton 2007 yearbook that has a 3-d colorflow champagne bottle and wineglasses. I make the pieces and put them in the oven every night to keep them safe. I forgot about them and turned the oven on when I go to bake the cake. That stuff really puffs up when it gets hot!! I don't have time to make more color flow pieces. Crap!! At the last minute, I decide to make chocolate ct's using the same patterns. They turn out pretty good for my first ct's.
SIL comes in her van to load up the 8" and 10" cakes and tells me we have to transport the cake 140 miles away! Hello, I should have been told that earlier! I'm so glad at this point that I haven't assembled the cake, yet. We load up the cakes and she wants to see the ct's. I open up the tote, she reaches in, grabs the bottle around the middle and picks it up!!! I almost pass out. The thing has skewers attached to it, does she use those?, of course not. She picks it up with her bare hands and chips the sides off of the bottle. I don't have time to fix it because we have to leave NOW. She grabs the 10" cake, I grab the 8" and take it to the van. I go back to the kitchen to get the other stuff and when I get in the van I see that she has put a seat belt around the 10" cake box and it has caved in. OMG! I take off the seatbelt and put the cake box on the floor- cake has dent on one side now!
We stop at Walmart to buy some silk grapevine greenery and grapes thinking that I can try to hide the mess. We get there, go to assemble the cake and she turnes the tote with the chocolate pieces in it over. Almost pass out again. They were ok, though. We assemble the cake and everyone loved it. It wasn't the best patch job but it turned out ok. This cake will forever be know as the "Lord, give me strength" cake!!
LL
LL
LL

20 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #2 of 21

Sounds like you had a stressful day!! Your cake looks wonderful. You've covered the mishaps well!!!

cncgirl00 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:39am
post #3 of 21

Thanks! I wasn't thrilled with it but the people at the party liked it-I guess that's what matters. I will post a better pic of the entire cake when I get them back from the developers.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 21

Your SIL is an idiot! That's why I never let anyone touch any part of my cake work - not if they'd like to continue living that is! Geez, some people!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 21

Your cake is awesome-can't wait for more pictures! Nice recovery on covering up the SIL damage, and excellent self control-I would have probably broken her arm :}

Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 21

Your cake looks great, you can't even tell anything happened! How did you keep from wanting to sock her one? icon_smile.gif

what are ct's? They look really, really good anyway.

cncgirl00 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 21

They are chocolate transfers.

cncgirl00 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 21

Oh, I was riding in HER vehicle so I didn't want to be stranded 140 miles away from home. BUT I really wanted to murder her-pipe her head full of bc till it exploded. LOL! I can laugh now but it really drove me crazy while it was happening. She did take me to the Cheesecake Factory afterwards to make up for it. Cheesecake DOES heal all wounds!!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncgirl00

BUT I really wanted to murder her-pipe her head full of bc till it exploded. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL! I can laugh now but it really drove me crazy while it was happening. She did take me to the Cheesecake Factory thumbs_up.gif !!!

I love this story-such a happy ending icon_wink.gif And it sounds just like something that would happen to me, that nobody would believe. You know there are THOUSANDS of us out here who literally gasped icon_surprised.gif over every detail of your post!!! Don't you just love CC?!?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 21

uuuuhhhh....don't let your sil anywhere NEAR a cake again! LOL

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 21

Glad it all turned out well. Your finished cake looked scrumptious. I love wine and it has inspired me to maybe try a CT or FBCT for my next girls' nite out cake with plenty of wine!!! LOL

Hugs,
Diana in VA

cncgirl00 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 21

These CT's were fairly large without a lot of detail which made them REALLY easy to do--alot easier than the color flow ones I originally made. And ya don't have to wait 3 days for them to dry. These are my new fav thing to do. Next time I would like to make some without all the stress!
I showed my nine year old the same ct's and he looked really close at them but he knew better than to touch them. I didn't think that I had to explain that to an adult. Go figure!!

cncgirl00 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 21
USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 21

OMG i would have killed my SIl if she just kept messing up your cake....geesh...lol...don't let her anywhere near your cakes again...lol. or wrap caution tape around her so everyone knows to beaware...lol....
sucks when ya put something in the oven to "keep it safe" and then YOU turn on the oven and bake your designs....lol. i did the same thing,made fondant flowers for the first time, set them in the oven...next day i turned on the oven...then went to put the cake in the oven and there were my flowers...now i know what 'baked' fondant looks like...lol

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 21

now where can I send the sticky notes to cncgirl? LOL They will help you NOT turn on the oven again! icon_smile.gif

Sorry about your bad luck with this cake but it is beautiful!!!

cncgirl00 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:29am
post #16 of 21

I bought some of the large sticky notes. I saw the other post accidently turning the oven on and burning all your hard work. Of course, it was AFTER I destroyed my color flow pieces. Thanks for all the wonderful comments about my cake!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #17 of 21

They would've had to get out the little paddles and holler "CLEAR" if she had done all that to me! You handled it very well!! The whole turning the box upside down, and buckling the other one into the seat... my stomach literally turned when you said those two things!!! For all the trouble you had, they really look good!! I hope you reaaalllly enjoyed your cheesecake! (And I hope you ordered the biggest, most expensive piece they have!! Hahahah!)

cncgirl00 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:59am
post #18 of 21

Well, I thinked my heart skipped like twenty beats as I watched I-N S-L-O-W M-O-T-I-O-N as my chocolate pieces did somersaults and win the Olympic Gold medal for the floor exercises!! LOL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #19 of 21

LMAO Cncgirl!!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:12am
post #20 of 21

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OMGOSH!! Was your SIL drunk while this was going on!! Does she just NOT KNOW what goes on with cake!!! Oh, you had me on an emotional roller coaster!!

Keep her on a short leash whenever she's around your cakes...you know, the kind that you hit the button and it retracks! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #21 of 21

Wow! What a story!!! I also sucked in my breath as soon as I read how she picked up the chocolate transfers.........then she puts the seat belt around the cake box?????????????????????? icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif I think I would've had to choke her right then and there!!!!! You showed great restraint, and the cake and the transfers are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%