What Decorating Tip Would I Use To Make This Effect?

Decorating By queenamy Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm by ssunshine564

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:16am
post #1 of 11

Im making cupcakes for my daughters 2nd bday and i love the way the frosting looks on the cupcakes, so thick and round. it must be a big circle tip but i don't know which one?!

and how do i get that effect ??/
THANKS ALOOOOOOOOT!!

BTW im talking about the cupcake the brown and middle pink cupcakes frosting. NOT the pink one in the back.
LL

10 replies
stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #2 of 11

I bought 2 tips at my local Sysco Store (they sell food items to restaurants and are open to the public). One is a HUGE shell tip and one is a Huge Round tip. the opening has to be about the size of a quarter. i would maybe look somewhere like that and see if you could find anything.

queenamy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:30am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyd

I bought 2 tips at my local Sysco Store (they sell food items to restaurants and are open to the public). One is a HUGE shell tip and one is a Huge Round tip. the opening has to be about the size of a quarter. i would maybe look somewhere like that and see if you could find anything.

thanks, we dont have Sysco store here, but i guess i'll try michaels. just get the biiigggest hole i can find lol

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:36am
post #4 of 11

the big shell tip is a 1M wilton tip. it usually comes in the wilton cupcake kit (around 8 dollars). the plain round tip is about the same opening width but i cant remember the number. i got mine from a specialty cake supply store, i dont remember michaels carrying it. i got the cupcake kit at joanns, but i've seen it at michaels, walmart and hobby lobby.

queenamy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:38am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

the big shell tip is a 1M wilton tip. it usually comes in the wilton cupcake kit (around 8 dollars). the plain round tip is about the same opening width but i cant remember the number. i got mine from a specialty cake supply store, i dont remember michaels carrying it. i got the cupcake kit at joanns, but i've seen it at michaels, walmart and hobby lobby.

ook i found the biggest round wilton tip which is 1A.

what im asking is what tip do they use on the cupcakes above? is it a simple huge round tip or is it a shell tip?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:47am
post #6 of 11

Wilton has these round tips. #12 (I have that one, but I don't think it is the size you might be looking for), they also have tips #1A & 2A...they look pretty big.

They also have these open star tips (some may call them shell tips) #6B & 8B, they also look big.

Here is a link to their tips: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E304FE9-475A-BAC0-542C86E6718519F9&fid=3E305C8B-475A-BAC0-54E61BA4686884CF
Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Sharon

Edit to say: sorry forgot all about the 1M shell tip, that melysa spoke of in her reply. It makes nice cc's also, duhhh I forgot all about having the kit icon_redface.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:52am
post #7 of 11

the cupcakes above use the big round tip, not the star tip (1M). I just checked my tips and yes, it is wilton 1A, so you've got what you need. to make the swirl, start at the outside edge and just rotate the tip two or three times, ending in the center and pulling upward. in the picture, the swirl looks really tall. i think they may have put a mound of icing in the middle for height, then the swirl on top of it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 6:15am
post #8 of 11

The two in the background look like they're made using the 1A...the one in the foreground looks close grooved like possibly the 172 or 4B

queenamy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11

okay i will try those two and see which i like better.

i really appreciate everyones help

thanks so much

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 11

They are using tip 1A.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 11

I just use a regular parchment bag and cut the end off to make the whole large. Works for me and I didn't need to buy a large round tip. I also cut a V shape in the end of parchment bags and make my leaves that way. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%