Any Other Diabetic Bakers Here?

Decorating By Sparklycake Updated 2 Nov 2006 , 5:55pm by Kayakado

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

Just been diagnosed, only pregnant diabetes though so hopefully temporary. Insulin dependent Diabetes....

How do you cope with not being able to taste fillings etc? Petrified I'll inhale icing sugar never mind taste anything...

Made me wonder is there anyone else out there who has this sussed!

6 replies
Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 7

For starters WELCOME. I know that being diabetic isn't something to be happy about but when every time you tell someone that you are diabetic they have this sad response it is kind of funny and makes you feel a little better when you get a Welcome.
I have an 11 year old that has had diabetes for 3 years (October 11, 2003) and I of course make cakes and she being a child loves eating cake. She is also on insulin and what her Dr. has told us is to just have insulin according to what carbs and sugar she eats.
Now the other thing that you can do is make your cakes with other "sugar" such as Splenda for baking or Equal. They both work great. I make my cakes from scratch so that way I have more control of the sugar and whatever other ingredients. I hope that helps somewhat.
Good Luck
thumbs_up.gif
Vic

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:01am
post #3 of 7

I'm not real familiar with what a diabetic can and cannot eat, so maybe this won't help much. But I bake a lot with honey, (we raise bees on our farm for honey) and pure maple syrup. There are a few really good cookbooks that are specifically used for this type of baking and cooking. My absolute favorite is carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting (of course all sweetened w/ honey). I hope this helped. thumbs_up.gif
~Beth icon_rolleyes.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:38am
post #4 of 7

Wal-mart has a sugar in the pharmacy section that is called dia-betic it can be used for cooking. I just made some sugar-free cookies for a customer, and did and orange cookie, with an orange glaze, a pumpkin bar and an applesauce raisin bar, they came out quite good. My customer called back and said everyone loved them. I used spenda on those recipes and brown sugar twin. There are some pretty good recipes out there, but cakes are a challenge, they are very dense. You can usually find some good recipes on the internet for diabetics.

TifFreie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TifFreie Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7

I had Gestational Diabetes also, although I wasn't insulin dependent, but I have to be VERY strict with my diet and carb intake.

There are ways to make cakes more diabetic friendly with splenda, and equal and the like. Try Kraft foods has a diabetic friendly section on their website and Splenda's WEbsite has many recipes that can used.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 7

My 23 year old son was diagnosed when he was 18. He loves sweets and his doctor has told him he can eat anything as long as he counts the carbs and takes the appropriate amount of insulin. icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 7

My mother was an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. She counts carb and contols her diabetes through diet alone. She will occaisionally eat a small piece of cake but she makes sure she exercises that day and eats lo-carb prior and for the remainder of the day. If we are going to eat cake, we make sure we go out and do some vigorous exercise for an hour afterward.

We use soy flour, wheat glutin, almond flour and pecan meal to make baked goods. Wheat, oat, rice, rye flours etc are not recommended as they raise blood sugar as much as sugars do. Honey is worse than refined sugar. Proteins like eggs, cheese are okay. So flourless chocolate cakes and almond pund cakes are the norm. Cream cheese icing is preferred. You also need to add other sweetners when doing chocolate and splenda, since splenda makes the chocolate more bitter. Choux pastires are good too since they are mostly air and egg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%