A New Trick!! Maybe...

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 4:01pm by snowshoe1

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:33am
post #1 of 6

I either figured out a new trick or finally found out something everyone else already knows... icon_redface.gif
I like the "push down method", that is, when my cakes come out of the oven, I use a clean dish towel to push down the hump. The only problem is that I don't always push them down very level. Tonight I had some cake boards the same size as my cake sitting on the counter. I put the dish towel on the cake, then used the cake circle to push it down. Worked beautifully and now my cake is nicely level!
Just wanted to share icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

I have a no fault system, I think....When I take the cake out of the oven, I put it on a cooling rack for 10 min. (nothing new) I place another cooling rack on top of the cake, while it is still hot ,while still in the pan.
I place something heavy on the outside edges of the second rack. If there is a bump, the top rack with the weight on it, hold it down. Then after 10 minutes, I just flip the 2 cooling racks, with the cake sandwiched in between. and remove the pan. It's works like a charm so far. If you have a larger cake pan, you might have to invest in larger cooling racks.
I'm sure any thing flat will work, but the top of the cake might stick to it.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:49am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for sharing cause this is new to me.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:43am
post #4 of 6

I normally leave the cake in the pan to cool so, when I take the cake out of the oven I immediately take a clean dish towel and place a board which fits snugly into the rim of the pan and press down. Then I allow the cake to cool for about 15 mins longer in the pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

spoiledbyneil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledbyneil Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:49am
post #5 of 6

thx for the tip!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 6

These are great tips - thanks for sharing. I'm just worried my family will be angry with me - level cakes mean not so many scraps for cake balls... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%