Newbie To Cake Decorating!

Decorating By mommy2landonmason Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 4:03am by nanahaley

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone everyheard of universal class. It is www.universalclass.com They have an online class that is supposed to help you learn how to decorate. I was just wondering if it is legit and worth the money. It is not that expensive, but I don't want to lose money in something that is not legit. If that makes sense. Thanks for any information you can give. icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

Hello and Welcome to CakeCentral!

I have never heard of UniversalClass, so I can't tell you what it's like.

I can tell you that it is likely that you can learn everything that online class has to offer, right here on CC. There are tutorials available and a wealth of information from cake decorators of all experience levels from all over the world. You can ask all the questions you need and someone will answer. Give CC a chance to help you before you spend money on an online class.

I just looked thru the course syllabus. It says:

Quote:
Quote:

Introduction to Cake Decorating: Why do you want to learn to make great cakes?

An upcoming wedding (you've seen what a purchased wedding cake can cost)
Did you agree to be a "classroom mother" and want to make special cakes for the holidays or specific units?
Is there a baker in the family you're dying to out-do?
Are you looking for the appeal offered by more traditional domestic skills?
Are you hoping to enter a local or regional baking competition?
Are you thinking of baking to earn some extra dough?
Is your organization looking for new fundraising opportunities like an upper scale cake walk, perhaps?

These are only a few of the reasons that may have attracted you to this course. However, whatever your motives may be, here are the skills you can look forward to gaining in the following lessons:
Equipment, utensils, tools and preparations
The basics of cake-baking: decorating techniques, lining your tines, working with marzipan and more
Decorating your cake with butter cream icing
Decorating your cake with royal icing
Decorating your cake with sugar flowers
Creating decorative children's cakes
Holiday and celebration cakes, as well as
Cake and frosting recipes
When we're finished, you'll be armed with everything you need in order to create delicious decorative cake designs with the power to make mouths start watering (and other bakers go green with envy). If those are the results you're looking for, let's get started...
Course Requirements
You should be familiar with basic cooking concepts/procedures, know how to work around hot stove tops, and know how to use an oven. In addition, you'll need kitchen supplies--most you probably already own--such as a mixer, mixing bowls, double boilers, pastry brushes, round cake pans, candy thermometer, spatulas, and other miscellaneous supplies that we'll go into more detail in Lesson 1.

Course Goals
This course is designed to help students understand the fundamental concepts of cake decorating -- from the designing/planning to actual implementation. This is a foundation course--while you will learn how to decorate a cake, to become really good at cake decorating will take work--you may have to decorate 5-10 cakes before you are happy with your masterpiece--but it is fun!

Personally, I don't see anything in that list that you can't learn by asking questions here, and watching tutorials. Likely, you will get more information here, and suggestions for many ways to do the same thing.

mommy2landonmason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2landonmason Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, a lot of stuff i do is from what i have learned here. This site is great! icon_biggrin.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 6

I do agree with SugarFrosted, 100%.
If you have the opportunity to actually attend a class or two (in person!) then that would be the way to go - there is no substitute for "hands-on" learning.
Otherwise, I would not waste my money.
I've been decorating for a long time and been a member of CC for quite a short time. What I have learned here is incredible - there always seems to be a thread on anything I need to know, or someone out there who can at the very least point me in the right direction.
And... most importantly ..... the laughs and support are amazing!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #5 of 6

I agree with the rest. CC is the best resource anywhere to any cake decorator looking for help.

Welcome to our community!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

I agree with everyone else that you could learn as much here (probably more) than from the online site you are looking at. Hands on classes would be more beneficial if you have access to them. But you are already off to a great start from the looks of your pictures.

Welcome to CC!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%