Help! Gumpaste Sculptures

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 10:15am by dods

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 11:05am
post #1 of 15

I am trying to make a gumpaste sculpture for my son's birthday cake SUNDAY!! I made it last night and left it to dry, but this morning I went into the kitchen and the body and the head sank. I even put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes to start the drying process. I made the pieces seperately so I could use some royal icing to glue them together. I made them from theSculptey clay book.

I also addes gum arabia to the gumpaste so it would harded faster. I'm not sure what to do. How does everyone get their figures to retain their shape?

Please help me! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 11:28am
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I am trying to make a gumpaste sculpture for my son's birthday cake SUNDAY!! I made it last night and left it to dry, but this morning I went into the kitchen and the body and the head sank. I even put them in the freezer for about 5 minutes to start the drying process. I made the pieces seperately so I could use some royal icing to glue them together. I made them from theSculptey clay book.

I also addes gum arabia to the gumpaste so it would harded faster. I'm not sure what to do. How does everyone get their figures to retain their shape?

Please help me! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Coco, i never put my gumpaste or fondant in the freezer to help it set, this will not make it dry, it can help when working with chocolate/candy clay, but not gumpaste. I just let the parts dry separately and then stick them together. OR I let it dry on a piece of soft foam, so that it will retain it's shape.
cheers
Nati

cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 11:41am
post #3 of 15

Thanks Nati, I just re made the body and the head so should I place them face side up? Or would you just put them sitting up straight? I have the pieces seperated. Thanks again!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 15

sometimes it helps to build the figure with a toothpick or skewer inside of it........but be sure to warn people if they're going to eat them........oh also.....are you sure you have gumpaste and not fondant??

cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 15

Yes I made the gumpaste from the wilton mix. I was going to try fondant today.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to help. PLEASE???

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 15

Is this a standing figure? Are you able to post a pic so we can see?

We will all try and help you but just not too sure what you mean, if the gumpaste is sinking, maybe it isnt mixed right, or if its a standing figure maybe there isnt enough support in the structure?

A picture would really help.

cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 15

going to get the camera!

cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 15

Ok the 2nd picture is the one that I made last night. I didn't stack it when I first made it. I just put the head on top because I had had enough with that little bear!

The 1st picture is what I am trying to make. Just clarify it is from the book THE SCULPEY WAY.

when I first sculpted the head and body they were pretty good. Now they kinda look like a hearshey's kiss. Also there is a toothpick in the body connecting the head.

Thanks to Dods for suggesting I use gumtex I am going to try that with my gumpaste later.

Ok let the talent juices flow my way!
LL
LL

katharry Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 15

Okay, I am no expert but it sounds like the mixture is too soft? I cant see anything in the structure that would cause it to sink.

Try adding CMC or your gumtex to normal fondant (this is what I do when I make figures). I know some gum additives you need to leave overnight, but CMC you can just about use straight away.

Good luck and Ill be watching for the pic when you are finished.

You doing a great job wit the shapes etc so once you tweak your gumpaste youll be fabulous!
thumbs_up.gif

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 15

I cant wait to see the finished product

cocorum21 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 15

i have the gumtex so i will try that tonight but what is cmc?

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 15

Form the head. Form the body and place a toothpick in the middle than place the head on the body and position as you want it. Remove the head and let them dry separately. Once it is all dry, just put a small dot of royal on the toothpick and place the head on the toothpick. Voila - problem solved.

Rachel

katharry Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:55am
post #13 of 15

cocorum21 CMC is a man made alternative to gum tragacanth (the power you put in fondant to make gumpaste/modelling paste)

It's usually cheaper and you don't need to leave it overnight once it's mixed with the fondant.

(this I am reading out of a Debbie Brown book).

I take 500g of fondant and mix 2 tsp of CMC into it.

HTH

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 9:55am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

it sounds like the mixture is too soft? I cant see anything in the structure that would cause it to sink.

I agree with Katharry, the bear looks perfectly fine, i thought you were making a groom or some other figure that was standing. With what you've got there (which looks very cute by the way), i can't see any reason why it would start to think except that your mix is far too soft, you would get something like that happening if you used straight fondant (well i would happen to me ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

You doing a great job wit the shapes etc so once you tweak your gumpaste youll be fabulous!
thumbs_up.gif

DITTO!!!

cheers
Nati

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:15am
post #15 of 15

Your picture looks good to me. If you feel the body is sinking maybe form it and keep it flat on the back till it dries up a little firmer. Then fix the head on it.

I sure your bear will come out great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%