Advice 4 Bride- Cake On Piano?

Business By albumangel Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 9:48pm by Erdica

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 14

A bride asked me if it would be OK to display her cake on a grand piano at the reception- the restaurant suggested it to her. The piano will be played for dinner music.

It's a buttercream cake with fondant accents, one very tall tier with a smaller tier on top.

Do you think this will be a problem? Have you ever displayed a wedding cake on a played piano?

13 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 14

I would have her ask at the resturant if they do it often, this may be something that they do all the time.. It actually sounds really pretty.. I would just be concerned if the piano gives off alot of vibration.. I really dont know if it does or not. sorry Im not much help here.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 14

Never had that request. But might suggest putting a glass or bowl of water on the piano and having someone play it to see how much vibration there maybe from the playing. I would worry about the vibrations.
Or another idea to recommend- display on the piano and have the cake cutting ceremony BEFORE the piano is played for dinner - I can't believe they would serve it from the piano anyway. It would look awesom for picture purposes.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 14

I think it will look gorgeous. I doubt the dinner music would be pounded out too hard to cause much of a vibration.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 14

My first thought was.......icing all over a nice piano? LOL Cutting a cake can get pretty messy sometimes. I cannot imagine cutting it on a piano. I agree with a pp that you could just display it there for pictures and then move it elsewhere.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 14

Agree with:
(1) check with the restaurant and see how often then do this.
(2) check the vibration factor.

There was a story on here by a CC'er in which the DJ placed the speakers close to the cake table. The vibration from the speakers caused the cake to collapse.

ldydb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldydb Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 14

Piano's really don't vibrate that much. It should be fine and very pretty.

albumangel Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:59am
post #8 of 14

Thanks for your input, everyone! I'll check with the restaurant first to see what they say. I was also trying to think of a "shock absorber" of some kind under the cake.

I agree that it will be beautiful on the piano, but I'm also glad to know about the DJ speakers story- that's what I was afraid of. I was a music major in college, and my first thought was that the vibrations aren't going to be huge-- it's dinner music, not rock & roll-- but cakes can be sensitive sometimes.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:06am
post #9 of 14

what are you frosting it with?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:14am
post #10 of 14

I think a rubber mat under the cake would help eliminate a lot of the vibrations...

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:39am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I think a rubber mat under the cake would help eliminate a lot of the vibrations...

i was thinkin' the same thing.

albumangel Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 14

melysa- It's bc with fondant accents, white almond cake with raspberry cream filling.

I've got those no-skid mats that I put under cakes in my car already. I'm not sure how much they would help, but I'll keep researching it.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 14

Displaying the cake on a grand piano sounds lovely! I wouldn't think there would be enough vibration to hurt the cake. Well, it wouldn't hurt my cakes. I guess if it's something with real delicate string work or something it might be different, but then again even string work and details dry and harden to some extent, or we couldn't move them, right?

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 14

I think it's a great idea.

I played the piano for 7 yrs and they don't give off much vibration unless you are pounding on them. But I don't think it would be any more vibration then people and music on the dance floor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%