Peanut Free Cake Recipe / Frosting Needed

Decorating By born2bake Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm by born2bake

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for a child who is highly allergic to any and all peanuts. I've heard I shouldn't used a boxed cake mix. Can anyone please advise on a cake recipe and frosting to help me with this.

Thank you,

born2bake

3 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 4

I'm sorry I can't help you with that. But you also need to take into consideration the ingredients you are using - read the labels to make sure that the flour, sugar, etc weren't processed in a factory that processes peanuts and that your bowls, spoons etc haven't come into contact w/ peanuts. Personally, I would stay away from this one - seems like it's too hard to avoid peanuts & could be a liability issue for you.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

I've had a severe peanut allergy all my life - to the point where the smell of peanuts will put me straight into anaphalictic shock. I use Pillsbury cake mixes and have never had a problem, but as beachcakes stated its really about cross-contamination and not the actual cake mixes. You not only have to carefully read the ingredients on everything you use, but you have to thouroughly check out the area you will be preparing the cake, including the people & pets that have access to that area. (There are so many pet toys that have peanut butter in them, I've had reactions from a dog licking me)

For instance, if someone in your home/bakery has a peanut butter sandwich or had a peanut-peanut butter candy bar in the vicinity the day you make your cake, it could be trouble. For some reason the odor of peanut butter is absorbed very easily even after sanatizing with bleach. Another possibility is if someone has had peanut butter-peanuts and you touch them and make the cake, it could cause cross contamination even if your hands are sanatized.

I keep a completly nut free house, (except for myself) I don't generally buy any product that has the allergy warning, and I have still had problems when visitors come over that have eaten peanuts/peanut butter that day. You have to be extremley careful but it can be done. As I said, I use box mixes and doctor them, and I make my own buttercream (decorators buttercream on cc)-so far I haven't had any cake issues.

To protect yourself, you should have them sign a contract or waiver that releives you from any responsibility/liability once that cake leaves your house/bakery. You have no idea who will be picking it up-if their vehicle has ever had nuts in it-if they have had nuts, if anyone at the party has nuts, etc. If you need any more information, feel free to pm me-it's one thing I know a great deal about; unfortunatly.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

Ladies,
Thank you so much for your wise advice and will take all in to consideration on whether I should do this or not. I am a newbie and need all the guidance I can take.

born2bake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%