Red Icing Using Americolor

Decorating By kendraanne Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 10:56pm by kendraanne

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 6

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm looking for opinions on the different shades of red available through Americolor. I love their coloring, however the red that I have doesn't give me a true, deep red (I have Christmas Red).
Who has experience with their different shades of red and can offer up advice on which color I should order to get a nice deep red (I know it's a very hard color to achieve)? I'm leaning towards "super red"...but wondered if anyone else has an opinion/preference.... TIA!!

5 replies
rflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rflores Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

I tried the super red but it gave me super pink!!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 6

I use "super red" and like it a lot. My firetruck cake in my pictures was done with buttercream colored with "super red". I've heard if you want a deeper red, you can add "super red" and burgundy.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 6

I use the Red Red and the Super Red. I always tint my icings and then leave them for an hour or even overnight to let the true colours come out:
LL
LL

kellyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyo Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure which brands are better, but keep in mind to get a rich looking red you have to add a LOT of coloring, or you get a lovely flamingo-esque pink color. Hope this is at least helpful (otherwise you may call me Captain Obvious, lol). Good luck!!

PS- Antonia- those cookies are adorable icon_smile.gif

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the quick responses (and great pictures)!! To be on the safe side, I'll order both the Red Red and the Super Red. I have an order coming up for chocolate cupcakes with white icing and a red rose on each cupcake. Plus, my husband just asked me to make decorated sugar cookies for Christmas gifts for all of the grade school teachers that he works with, so I know I'll need some red for that too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%