Has Anyone Tryed Rolled Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By krzyzak Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm by christym

krzyzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzyzak Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 30

I found a reciepe for Rolled Buttercream Icing and thinking about trying it. Has anyone tryed it? If So what did you think of it? is it worth trying?

29 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 30

I use it to ice my cookies and to cover my cakes. I think it is easier to work with than fondant. And I think it tastes better, too. Whenever I cover a cake in fondant, people always take of the fondant....not so with the rolled butter cream.

The football themed cookies in my gallery are iced with rolled buttercream. And I used rolled buttercream to make the pond cake.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 30

i just tried it recently for the first time. i made some practice mini pumpkins. it is definitely softer than fondant and was kind of shiny from the shortening
(maybe i used too much ?)

in the future, i would use it to cover a cake because it tastes better than fondant but the greasy shine drove me crazy.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 30

I love it - I use it to cover my cookies all the time. I just finished doing 300 cookies for my upcoming wedding (pictures not posted yet). I did brides and grooms in tuxedos made from the heart shaped cookie, and cakes and a wedding dress.

I think the key is to work in a bunch of extra powdered sugar to make it a slightly stiffer consistency. I also found that with the extra powdered sugar, it tears less, holds the shape better, and the shine will disappear after it is sitting out for about a day. The icing never dries rock hard, but it gets a bit hard to the touch, so you can place the cookies in bags. My first two attempts working with the rolled buttercream are in my pictures - the brides and the bibs/feet/bears. They aren't that great looking - but that would be me, not the rolled buttercream! I'm pretty new to cookie decorating, and it takes a little time to really get used to working with the rolled buttercream, but I really love it now. The cookies for my wedding are my fourth or fifth attempt using the stuff, and I think it has gone really well.

I've never used it on cakes, so I can't comment on that. Everyone liked the taste of it. I think finding the right consistency and learning not to roll it too thick are key. I also always roll it out on a silpat, with lots of powdered sugar. Good luck!

krzyzak Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 30

thank you i think i wil give it a try and let my husbands work be my ginny pig's. they seem to enjoy when i send him to work with a cake that i made just for practice. (it also might give me future orders too)

gsd4de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsd4de Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 30

Can you post the recipe here? I would love to try that...

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 30

I used it on a large cake and I had a heck of a time with it. It tore much easier than fondant and the shine drove me crazy too. If you want to use any kind of shimmer / luster dust, it dose not work well with due to the grease.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 30

I find that you have to work in a fair amount more powdered sugar than the recipe calls for - kind of like dough - you need to work it until it gets to the right consistency. It can tear too easily if it doesn't have enough powdered sugar in it, but you can repair it quite easily - better than fondant. Again, I've never covered a cake with it, though, just cookies.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 30

I always wanted to try it too...how does it taste in comparison to MMF? Better or worse? Once I made the MMF recipe found here on CC, I never tried another thing! It's my favorite! icon_razz.gif

Chauntelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chauntelle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 30

I love this stuff. I used it for my son's birthday cake, a three tiered Curious George Cake and it was so easy. I was able to smooth it pretty easy. The only thing I had a hard time with was it getting to sticky, but nothing a little extra sugar can't cure. I want to try and make figures out of it next. I would definately suggest trying it.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:00am
post #12 of 30

Thanks Chauntelle, I'm going to try it when my life settles down after this weekends monster cake I have to make for a customer ( my biggest cake yet!) Once I can relax and make a cake for myself for fun, I'm giving it a try!

krzyzak Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #13 of 30

Chauntelle do you have a pic of the three tiered Curious George Cake. Would love to see we have a friend that we call curios george. and thinking about making him a cake.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #14 of 30

I have used both the MMF and the rolled buttercream. I definately prefer the taste of the BC but I found that the MMF was easier to cover a cake in. I'll be doing another cake with rolled BC on the 9th of Nov. and will try adding more powdered sugar to see if it helps.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:16am
post #15 of 30

Has anyone ever made it with a regular mixer? Mine does not have a paddle attachment like the Kitchenaid does, and the recipe states the paddle MUST be used...

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:26am
post #16 of 30

I made it in my mixer using a dough hook attachment. I was worried at first but it came out fine and my mixer survived.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:45am
post #17 of 30

What a great thread.

I always wondered about the rolled buttercream, but it was not mentioned much so I thought it must be a dog - either because of the taste/texture or the difficulty of use.

Glad to know I was wrong.

Will have to put trying rolled buttercream on my list of things to do......

mjrhooligan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjrhooligan Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 10:40am
post #18 of 30

I did my tiered cake from Course 3 using the rolled buttercream. I added some extra powdered sugar but not enough to keep it from tearing. That turned out to be beneficial though because I would have had to tear it on my own anyway. It's posted in the halloween contest thingy - I did the big gaping hole on purpose! Everybody at work loved the look and the taste but when working with it I thought it was VERY greasy. Anybody know about the grease factor?

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:07am
post #19 of 30

There is a thread on the Wilton forum board that suggests mixing the RBC with fondant. The author, Squish, gives the recipes for both. It was posted on Nov 17, 2004 & topic Title is "Rolled Buttercream / Fondant Recipes for you"

I have never posted a "thread", this might be it....
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&catid=7&threadid=76432&ftvar_msgdbtable=

If not you can find it by doing a search under author
Squishy

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:17am
post #20 of 30

So Julisa can you mix the store bought wilton fondant with the rolled BC to get the same affect??? I would like to try this maybe. I guess with a 40% coupon it wouldn't cost to much to try. But it still might have that prefab tastes maybe. Has anyone tried it??

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #21 of 30

When you go to cover a cake with the RBC, should you roll it out and treat as you would regular fondant? I tried to use it this past weekend and it was a disaster! I threw it away and started over with regular fondant!

I want to try my hand at it again, but I guess I didn't use enough ps. Please help!

kjenne08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjenne08 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:29pm
post #22 of 30

I am taking a class on rolled buttercream this saturday. I do not like the taste of regular fondant so hoping this will be a great alternative.

krzyzak Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:58pm
post #23 of 30

kjenne08
let us know how your class went. going to try making it this weekend for the first time and would love any suggestions about.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:31pm
post #24 of 30

I used rolled BC for my purse cake-in the gallery- as well as for some other projects. It is much softer than reg. fondant, but about the same consitency as MMF. It does get a little greasy about day two. I had one instance where it left a little drops of ooze around the bottom of the cake on the cake board. Luckily I noticed it and sopped it up before anyone else saw. It does have a nice flavor - great for cookies. Honestly MMF is easier to make and it tastes good too- I'll use MMF more often than rolled BC.

mjrhooligan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjrhooligan Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:09am
post #25 of 30

I actually tried using the MMF as my first idea for my halloween cake and it was a disaster. I don't know what I did wrong (I'm sure it was me rather than it). I'd be willing to try it again but I thought mixing the rolled buttercream was really easy and tasted better anyway - just needed more sugar which I'll do next time.

And whole class on rolled buttercream would be awesome!!

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:18am
post #26 of 30

Mix it with your MMf 50/50 It will be a little softer than just MMf but much easier to handle and you don't get that greasy look .

LynnVC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnVC Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:25am
post #27 of 30

I agree that rolled buttercream can be greasy and tears more easily. I read somewhere that you can do a 50/50 mix of rolled buttercream and fondant. I did my brother's wedding cake this way. My brother and his fiancee tried countless creations of mine before the final decision. Making the hybrid rolled buttercream/fondant 50/50 adds a better texture to the fondant and the fondant gives the rolled buttercream a stiffer consistency and cuts down on the shine. I was able to cover an 18 inch round tier - so I know it works! Everyone loved the taste. The picture is in my gallery. I have used it on its own and I'm glad I wasn;t the only one adding a lot of extra powdered sugar!!
P.S. I hate, hate, hate Wiltons pre-made fondant - please don't use it. I order mine from New York - It's called Massa Ticino. I also make my own - Wilton's recipe - so much better!!

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:26am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychristensen

So Julisa can you mix the store bought wilton fondant with the rolled BC to get the same affect??? I would like to try this maybe. I guess with a 40% coupon it wouldn't cost to much to try. But it still might have that prefab tastes maybe. Has anyone tried it??

I have never mixed the RBC with the Wilton fondant. I didn't want to chance the taste of it. Wilton fondant looks great, works great, but just tastes soooo awful thumbsdown.gif . I made my own fondant and did have to add a bunch more PS to the RBC.

Right now I am using the RBC/fondant mixture to make figures. I am adding gum tex to help "stiffen" it up. So far seems to be working ok. I think I made the body of my figure to big though. they are to heavy for the "legs". I guess all my "backyardigans" will be sitting down. icon_rolleyes.gif

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:34am
post #29 of 30

I love the taste of it. I haven't covered an entire cake with it but I have made roses with it. I liked the shine in it but the taste beats all the others I've tried.

christym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christym Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #30 of 30

Thanks everyone! I made RBF last night for the first time and wasnt sure if I did it right. Sounds like I need more Powdered Sugar. Will cover the cake today. Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%