Business Specifics For Alabama?

Business By nocentstar Updated 4 Nov 2005 , 11:03pm by peachstate

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there!
I've been reading over all the othe rposts and have gotten a lot of good information, but now I'm curious about specifics for selling in Alabama.

I live in Alabama and am trying to figure out what exactly I need to sell cakes legally. I live in an apartment, and am sure that wouldn't fly becuase it's not zoned for commercial. I also only have one kitchen. I know I need a license just to sell period, but I'm having a hard time finding the right information for just what exactly I need to make this a business. Just curious if anyone is from Alabama and happens to know, or knows where I can look to find the answers.

Thanks for your help!

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

Although each area is different, you can start by looking on the internet under (Alabama) Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services/ Office of Dairy and Foods.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

at least what i know of them..........

I live in Baldwin County, ALabama. I played around with the idea of a catering business 3 yrs ago...and actually did a wedding...but then had to toss that dream due to being pregnant again!!! lol Catered the wedding at 5 months preg.....longgggg story....anyway.....

From the research I did back then, I do know this: In order to not be fined/prosecuted/jailed, etc. if caught charging someone for food prepared in your home, you must have a permit, just like any other business permit. Not sure if it's the same where you are in AL, but in Baldwin County we have to get business licenses/permits town by town, not county wide. (My husband & I own a landscaping co. so we have to renew permits every year in every town we do biz in within the county...) The catch is that because it is food related, you have to have the Health Dept. come and inspect your kitchen and you have to meet all of the rules/guidelines/requirements that they set for a foodservice type permit. And because you're preparing a food product and selling it, you have to be inspected every year...pretty much like restaurants. Some of the rules are different though....they do take into account to some degree that you're not a restaurant and are a home-based biz, but it's still a lot of work to get prepared for an inspection. There's a fee you have to pay for the initial inspection, but I don't think you have to pay that again each year, just have to pay the fee for renewing the biz license/permit.

I don't believe there are any statewide rules that apply to in-home bakery businesses, but you might want to check with your county business laws first.

Hope this helps

jennifer t.

nocentstar Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 9

Hi Jennifer T -

Thanks so much! That was a big help right there. I'm in the Bham area, but I also live in an apartment and am afraid that's going to be a difficult thing to get around. I guess i need to call and get specifics for this area and to see if it could be done in an apt or do I need to wait until I move into a house. Know of any kitchens that can be rented out by any chance?

Thanks again for you help - many many thanks!!!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 9

you're very welcome!

I was hoping my earlier post made sense to you...lol icon_rolleyes.gif I sometimes can be confusing in the way I word things.

I don't think you're county business laws/health dept. rules would differentiate between a house or apartment, I could be wrong about that, but your Management or the owner of the apartment complex might have rules concerning in-home(apt.) businesses..... due to the safety and/or satisfaction of the other tenants. So that's ANOTHER icon_mad.gif avenue to investigate!!
States & counties sure can make it difficult to get a business started, can't they?? But as a consumer, I'm sure there's lots of things they do that (if we knew of them) we would appreciate 'cause it keeps people on their toes as business owners.
I've never heard of anyone who had a home-bakery w/out permits or licensing that got caught by "the law" or anything....would be interested in hearing from someone who has been caught to find out what actually happened to them.....it would help me determine if the risk is worth it to try to stay under the radar or go thru the headache of getting "legal".
I've read other posts here about renting kitchens....never heard of that before, though. It's definitely something that I am going to look into...I'll let you know if I come across anything in the B'ham area!

Just a thought: But I wonder if you can "rent" the kitchen at your (or another) church?? You know - bigger churches usually have commercial-like kitchens.....but are they inspected by the health dept. like a restaurant??? maybe not. HHHMMMMMM.....my brain might actually be working today!!!! icon_razz.gif

Jennifer

nocentstar Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 9

Okayyy, I gotcha. I'm tired today and I don't think most things are making sense to me! lol Good points and advice - thanks! Our management is not very friendly, so I'm worried about even asking them. They do have a kitchen in the clubouse, but I don't think it's inspected by the health dept. (even though they rent it out to people, so now I'm curious...) I just hate to get involved with them (bad news, you know?)

Good idea about checking with my church! It's large and has a school so I'm sure it has a great kitchen!

I've read one post where the woman was caught without a license. Apparently she had been doing it for 3 years, but someone got mad and reported her and they shut her down. So irritating, you know? That's the only one I've heard of though, so maybe it's not as risky. I'm still nervous though.

Hmmm.... you have me thinking now too - thanks!

Catbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catbird Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:00am
post #7 of 9

you need to call your local health department and they can give you all the specifics of opening and selling out of your apartment or home.

I do know that you must have an approved kitchen and it can not be the one that you cook in for your personal use. You must have a 3 compartment sink for sure, they won't approve your permit without it. And yes the permit is required to be renewed every year and the permit runs around $75.00 a year. Each county sets their own fees is the reason they vary from county to county.

If someone reports you the health inspector will contact you and give you X # of days to get approved and you can not legally sell anything until you are approved, if you continue to sell without a permit they can file legal action against you. But they usually give you a chance to get approved first. Or atleast that the way our county does.

In our county the based rule is that if you don't advertise they won't bother you. It is when you start to advertise that they consider you a business.

You can go to the web site www.adph.org and see if you can find out more info there.

Hope this helps.

nocentstar Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 9

hi Catbird -
Thanks for the great info! I will certainyl check out the website you recommended as well.

I appreciate your input!!!!
Thanks!

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 9

I have been searching for any information on baking business' in Alabama and have had no luck on any Alabama websites. Right now I just decorate cakes for fun, but I have thought about opening a business later down the road. I am weighing different options but cant find any of the legal requirements for home based cake decorating versus store based bakeries. Any ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%