How To Make Your Own Cookie Cutter

Baking By KHalstead Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 11:52pm by SweetResults

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:50pm
post #31 of 47

So glad I found this thread!!!! I had tried to make some cookie cutters before. Someone had mentioned using this stuff for pipes (forget what it was called) I tried but it was just too hard to bend for me!! THis sounds awesome and right now money is a huge issue for us so this is just great!!

Thanks KHalstead!!! (maybe we should do a cookie of you for the November theme of things we are thankful for?LOL ) icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:46pm
post #32 of 47

lol........that's funny.....but completely unneccesary I assure you!! LOL

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 7:47am
post #33 of 47

Happy Pre-Holidays Y'all,

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU! What a great gift you have givin all of us!
THANK YOU!

DH says AHHGGGG! LOL

I am having no luck finding a Girl Scout shaped cake pan. Do Ya think this would work for a pan or would that be too large and not bake well?

THANK YOU!

KHalstead Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:19pm
post #34 of 47

mmmm....don't know.....my guess is the aluminum might be too thin.......oh or do you mean to set a large cutter inside of a cake pan?? I'll bet you could make a large cutter and just bake a square or whatever shaped cake and then just cut it out! I would just make a template out of paper though and just carve the cake.....unless you need to make a lot of them.

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:21pm
post #35 of 47

Just another person wanting to thank you for sharing the directions...like many others, was thinking this was too tricky. You make it look do-able! Thanks for sharing!

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 5:41am
post #36 of 47

Happy Pre-Holidays Y'all,

Thanks for the tip on using it or paper to cut out a cake.

Another question: Have you tried to make any of the 3-D cutters that look so neat but are getting bad reviews here on CC? If yes what are your results?

And again Thank you so much for sharing!

KHalstead Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm
post #37 of 47

no I haven't..........I've seen them though and they look so neat...just so expensive.......I don't see why you couldn't make them.......I mean if you can draw up a pattern or find a pattern for them there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work. I didn't realize they were getting bad reviews.....I always thought they looked so cool. You would (I imagine) have to get ahold of a good cookie dough recipe that doesn't spread At all to make them work though wouldn't you?

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #38 of 47

Wow, I just read this thread...thanks KHalstead!!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:54pm
post #39 of 47

Thanks.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:20pm
post #40 of 47

Thanks so much for sharing this KH. I've sweet-talked my DH into making a few custom cutters for me before, but this method is easier than his, IMO. He glued my printed image to a small piece of wood, then cut that out. He took a strip of flashing and pounded it around the wood shape. He welded the cutter together, but the bottom edges never seal very well this way, and I end up w/a goofy 'jag' on one edge. I'm definitely stopping at the hardware store tonight!

Canela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:55am
post #41 of 47

This tutorial should be in the article's page icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:39pm
post #42 of 47

awww...thanks

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:49pm
post #43 of 47

Fantastic! Thanks!

ctorno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctorno Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:31am
post #44 of 47

Great tutorial! I have made some with cardboard and cutting strips off the bottom of an aluminum pan. I live in a small town and have 3 kids, so sometimes what is in the pantry has to do. Hope you don't mind me posting this under here KHalstead, your method certainly produces finer lines. Cut a piece of cardboard into a square. Outline pic on cardboard and use an exacto knife over trace marks. Cardboard has a hollow center and you will not puncture through the other side too easily (and you do not want to). Cut the size strip off bottom of pan (best to have double the width you need and fold in half for a stronger piece), then stick it in the groove the exacto knife made. If you come up short, just cut another strip and tape to existing one. Can use tape to hold parts in place as you wind around if need to. Then non-toxic glue to hold in the cardboard. I did this for the frog cookies I made that were actually a replica of someone elses on the site. Very easy and most already have the tools needed. May not work as well as the posted method for intricate cookies shapes, but sure helped me to not have to cut each one individually. Just thought I would post this for those who find themselves in a real bind. I am going to keep your method bookmarked for future ones I make. Thanks for sharing!!

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #45 of 47

What a great tutorial + tips! Thank you so much for sharing them.

I wanted to add a couple of notes:

1. Clean your flashing with an alcohol-based cleaner (rubbing alcohol works just fine) or a strong degreaser before you use it on food.

2. Beware of what kind of flashing you buy! There are a few types on the market. Get aluminum or galvinized steel. There's a lead-based copper one that you absolutely do not want.

sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:00pm
post #46 of 47

Thank you for taking the time to make this tutorial. I can't wait to make my own cutters. thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:52pm
post #47 of 47

Hope I actually try this someday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%