Eating Mmf

Decorating By debster Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm by toristreats

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 19

How do you all get people to order fondant and eat it? No one around me will eat the stuff our cake decorators don't even get enough oders for it here. My grandchildren won't eat it either............. icon_eek.gif

18 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 19

I'm surprised your grandchildren won't try it. I can't keep my kids out of it. I think it kind of depends where you are whether or not people will order/eat fondant. I use it mainly for decoration on celebration cakes, but usually do not cover with it because people love my buttercream and don't want to pay extra for fondant anyway.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 19

I don't know where you live, but I live in rural WV and no one around here will eat it either! They love the fondant figures, and are amazed when they find out that everything is edible, but won't even eat the fondant accents. It's not the taste, but the texture, that they don't like.
I can't blame them though, I won't eat it either. It's pretty, makes beautiful cakes, but we love our buttercream.

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 19

My kids and all their friends love it. I've gotten compliments from people I've given cakes too as well. Personally, I think it takes gross....

debster Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:12am
post #5 of 19

I live in Ohio and I won't eat it either, but I agree it's beautiful..........

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:22am
post #6 of 19

Are you talking about MMF? I think that stuff si pretty tasty! Now, if you are talking about Wilton Fondant, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY!...lol...THAT stuff tasts nasty! I was surprise...I made a really huge cake for my aunt's 85th birthday party, and people actually were all eating the fondant...they all said they LOVED it too! They all asked if it was edible first, and when I told them yes, man, it was gone in a flash! I think people are just so used to buttercream, they think fondant isn't something you are supposed to eat.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:31am
post #7 of 19

I can't keep my hands out of the MMF!! You could try encouraging people to try it, then it would quickly get around that it tastes SO good!

gothgate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothgate Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:38am
post #8 of 19

i just made my first fondant cakes & used the wilton fondant. having tasted it first, and found it as bland as sticking a piece of cornstarch flavored chewing gum in my mouth, i kneaded a touch of almond extract in it. i crumbcoated liberally with vanilla (storebought) frosting, and then refrigerated the whole thing overnight. i also served it cool, not fridge temp, but not room temp either. i tried a slice at room temp and it was less than tasty. but chilled i liked it. i think that the cold cut down on the rubbery-ness.

but yes, it was like pulling teeth to get the grown-ups to give the fondant a try. i had to tell them it was a "special recipe". icon_smile.gif everyone who ate it said the fondant was delicious.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #9 of 19

If you don't like fondant, neither will your customers. I always say, 'the only fondant that tastes bad, is bad fondant'. MMF is delicious, as well as FondX and Satin Ice. The white chocolate fondants, Sweet Inspiration and Choco Pan are amazing, but a bit pricey.

The only way our customers will try something new is if we introduce them to it. I do a lot of sculpted cakes and often there is no choice but to use fondant. I love it and love working with it!! I don't charge extra for using it. MMF costs less than buttercream to make. I start customers with accents and if the design requires it, I cover the cake in fondant. For those of us with children, remember getting them to try a new food? You had to eat it first icon_biggrin.gif . No real reason for our customers to ask for something that we don't promote.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 19

i would never make a cake with store bought rolled fondant....mmf is the best...everyone i make it for just looooves it!!! anytime i have extra, my neighbor come knocking on my door....she will just sit and eat it!!!

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 19

I make all my cake with MMF...I just tell them to cut it like you would a regular cake and they can peel it off if they want to. I think it kinda taste gross, but the cakes come out prettier to me.

~Tiffany

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 19

The first time I used fondant, I used Wilton and it tasted and smelled horrible. thumbsdown.gif I was embarrassed when people tasted it. Then I discovered MMF and it is delicious. Everybody in my family loves it. I have also tried Satin Ice and it is also delicious. My family will eat the chocolate Satin Ice like candy. I can't leave any laying around or it will disappear.

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 19

My mom won't even try a cake that I make if there is MMF (or any other kind of fondant) anywhere on the cake. I even explained to her that it is mostly for looks and if she doesn't like it she can peel it off. The cake and icing underneath are still perfectly good. I guess a lot of people are just closed-minded like that. If I get the MMF thin enough, I think that it tastes fine, but that's just my opinion I guess.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 19

I was at a cake decorating class being taught by a very well-known cake decorator (I've seen her many times on the Food Network Cake Challenges as a judge), and she got sort of nasty when someone mentioned how they didn't like to eat fondant. I think she was insulted, as ALL her cakes are covered in fondant. Granted, they are gorgeous and you have to use it to compete in shows, but for eating, the icing I use is far superior to fondant.

debster Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 19

I also made the MMF and do prefer that over Wilton, but I just don't care for fondant period. Where do you all get the chocolate fondant at and the Satin Ice?

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 19

I want to experiment with MMF or the homemade fondant all the time. But my DH complains about it every time! All he can say is "Can't you make a cake with plain ol' sweet icing!" He has no sense of venture at all... ;P

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 19

I think a lot of the problem with fondant is when people take a bite of cake, they want that soft, melt in the mouth type of taste and not anything that has a chewy texture... when someone picks out a cake that is a fondant covered cake, I explain to them that under the fondant will be buttercream icing so people who don't like the chewy texture of fondant will have the normal type of cake... I explain they can just peel the fondant back and still have the cake/icing to eat .... some like it, some don't ... I think it's about 80% that don't to about 20% here that do and eat it .. MMF tastes really good, or to me it does.. once again, I think it's the chewy texture they just can't get around ... I just love the presentation of fondant.

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 6:55pm
post #18 of 19

I made MMF with almond extract recently and my husband LOVES IT! I save the cake tops after I level them. He'll squirt buttercream out of my bags and then flatten extra MMF on top of it and eat it as a snack.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm
post #19 of 19

I love MMF. In fact I have to throw away my leftovers so I don't eat them. (I'm supposed to avoid fats and sugars). I hate the taste of Wilton, but I've only used it once.

I think the reason a lot of people don't order fondant is because it's still pretty new in America and most people don't know about it. Plus, the chewy texture is a turn-off to most people.

I do love the look of fondant. The pumpkin in my photos is all fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%