My Frozen Cake

Decorating By Cassie2500 Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 3:58pm by pookster

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:48am
post #1 of 9

What happened to my cake that I froze? I made it 3 days ago so I would have it already baked and I took it out today to thaw and now it looks like it is less than 1 inch high. I did put a lightweight frozen pizza on top so it would be level on top-was I wrong to do that? I have read on here where you can freeze your cake so you won't have to go through too much trouble the day you need your cake. I have also heard not to ice it the same day as you bake it because it is easier to do the day after so it can completely cool and settle.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 6:13am
post #2 of 9

Mmmmm....

What kind of cake did you make and what size pan did you use.

What size was the cake when it came out of the oven.

Have you made this cake recipe before - what were your previous results.

Did you only make one layer of cake.

Freezing shouldn't have caused your cake to shrivel up.

And I don't think a frozen pizza on top of a cake that's still in the pan had anything to do with it....

I usually bake and freeze my cake layers then pull them out when I'm ready to frost and decorate.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 9

I made a 10" Duncan Hines orange cake. I usually use Duncan Hines, but have never done the orange cake mix until now. I baked it, it looked pretty high then, but I may be wrong, and let it cool for an hour. I took it out of the pan after 10 minutes. When it was cool, I wrapped it up with saran wrap (I did bake 2 layers) and put them both together in a freezer bag on top of each other and then put the pizza on top just so it would be flat on top. Do you freeze the cake while it is still in the pan?

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 9

Hmm.. I'm not sure. But I'd like to know why too, b/c I also have the DH orange mix, but haven't gotten a chance to make it yet..

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 9

I made the DH white chocolate raspberry cake and it was pretty short. I made the 2 layers and the cake was still only about 2.5" total.

JanH Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:27am
post #6 of 9

I'm sorry to ask so many questions...

Did you use one cake mix for each layer.

If you did use one mix per layer, perhaps you wrapped your cakes too tightly in the saran wrap.

(It's easy to compress them when they're not frozen.)

Also stacking them on top of each other before they were frozen might not have helped.

I wrap my cakes (use the 3" pans) then put them back in the pan and into the freezer until I need them.

The chart I have from www.countrykitchensa.com/wedding/cakechart.aspx
states that the 10" pan takes 4 1/4 cups.

I can't imagine that the DH orange doesn't make that much batter....

I'm stumped.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:48am
post #7 of 9

Hi!

According to this chart:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

a 10" cake pan (with 2" high sides) would need about 6 cups of batter. I usually follow this and have no problems achieving a 2 inch high cake layer.

A box of cake mix typcially yields about 4-5 cups of batter, depending on the brand. I usually use 3 boxes to make a 10" size cake and about 4" high. I add a little more than 6 cups of batter, ending up with more cake scraps, but hey, that's a good way to taste your filling/cake flavors icon_smile.gif

Unless you have 1" cake pans, I can't imagine how they would've squished so much icon_confused.gif

HTH!
Mirjana

JanH Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 9

I made the DH orange cake this morning. The mix yields 6 cups of batter.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 9

not sure what went wrong...i always freeze my cakes...never had a problem with them shrinking.....was it still warm when you put it in the freezer????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%