How To Prevent The Slopping Cake

Decorating By aubrazacmom Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm by aubrazacmom

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:46am
post #1 of 15

It never seems to fail that every time I think one of my cakes is level it's not is there any advice on how to level off the icing so it doesn't slope? In the picture of the cake I did for my son you can see how the animals are all going down hill sort of speak and it just drives me crazy. Any advice would be a help. The trees are horrible too I couldn't get the leaves to do what I wanted Thank goodness my son is only one and won't remember!!
LL

14 replies
aubrazacmom Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:56am
post #2 of 15

Sorry, didn't realize there was already a post on this earlier. Just got done reading it!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #3 of 15

bake even strips.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #4 of 15

hey i just wanted to say...i think that cake was adorable.....I wish my son's first b-day cake was that cool!

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 15

yes! you should be proud, it is VERY cute!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:25am
post #6 of 15

That's an adorable cake. You're being super critical. Cute! Cute! Cute! thumbs_up.gif

lapazlady Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:28am
post #7 of 15

Last week on Ace of Cakes one of the decorators used a level to check the flatness of a cake. I thought it was a bit extreme, but if flat is what you're looking for that would certainly let you know, one way or the other. icon_lol.gif

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:35am
post #8 of 15

I know that I can get my cake leveled but once I ice it, it's unlevel again. icon_cry.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:49am
post #9 of 15

lol, i have started practically standing on my head when i ice the tops to be sure they are level!

lapazlady Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 15

I went back and looked at the cake, again. My opinion has NOT changed one bit. It is adorable! If it isn't level the unevenness is in the mountains, perfect!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 15

I have found when doing several of my cakes I had to much icing in certain areas so I use the side of my spatula/spreader and I take off the icing that is creating the problem. So far it has worked for me. On occasion though I just got frustrated and said the heck with it and honestly no one noticed. You will always be your worst critic. So give your self credit that cake is fantastic!!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #12 of 15

I have a small torpedo level that I use to make sure the cake is level before icing. Then I ice as usual and use a large spackle knife across the top to get it somewhat level.

aubrazacmom Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and advice, I really appreciate it. I might try that level idea and spakle, for some reason it just never ever, ever seems to come out right.

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 15

I was thinking of trying to hold two identical rulers on each side of the cake (after frosting) and take another ruler between the two of them and hold the center ruler at the same height on each side (should look like a wide "H") and then drag that over the frosting to level it. Do you think something like that would work? I'm messing with making something that you could rest the center ruler on so that it wouldn't move as easily but yet could be adjusted for different size cakes, but I don't have anything definite yet. If you have plenty of icing to begin with you should be able to scrape off the amount evenly for a nice flat top.

Edited to fix my typos - hard enough to understand the way it is!!!

aubrazacmom Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 15

Edibleart, yes that would probably work. It took me a few times reading it to understand what you meant but yes I do think something like that would work. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%