Chocolate Bc Under Fondant??

Decorating By ChristineMarie Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm by OzCookie

ChristineMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineMarie Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 4

My friend is getting married and volenteered me to make her wedding cake...My first wedding cake and first 3 tier.

So doing 6-9-12 with red roses inbetween layers
6 inch chocolate
9 inch vanilla
12 inch chocolate

she wants it covered in fondant...My question is can i cover the chocolate cakes in chocolate BC first or should i use a white BC under the fondant layer? Chocolate seems tastier but i am not sure due to the color being dark is it a bad idea and should i just use a white BC?

TIA Christy

3 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 4

if you want all three layers to match and be the same color white...then I believe you would have to use white BC...otherwise it's going to show thru. I've covered a choc cake with white BC before and if you don't use enough BC the dark patch has shown through.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 4

Nearly all my cakes are chocolate with chocolate ganache, i cover them in white fondant all the time and never have a problem with it showing through. i think the main thing is to make sure your fondant it thick enough...

HTH

cheers

kylie

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 4

I, too, use ganache to cover cakes under fondant. If it is to be a light-coloured fondant, I use white chocolate ganache. The recipe is the same, but you need more of the white chocolate. The proportions I use are 300ml cream:600 gm dark chocolate or 200ml cream:700 gm white chocolate. This gives a very workable ganache for coating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%