Heating Core???

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 1:25am by daisyblue

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 16

i see where they recommend using a heating core for larger sheet cakes. my question is if you put it in the middle, doesn't that leave a huge hole in your cake? am i missing something here?

15 replies
dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 16

I grease and flour the core just as you do the pan and put a small amount of batter in. After baking and cooling, I remove the core. Remove the cake that is in the core and put it back in the cake to fill the hole. If it is too tall, I just slice off the excess. Hope this helps.

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:01am
post #3 of 16

You would think it would, but there is a sneaky way of filling it. When you place the heating core in the center, you fill the center of the core with batter & it bakes a little cake 'cork' to fill the hole. When the cake is removed from the oven you just kind of twist the core out & then you just run a knife around the cake inside the core, pop it out & plug the hole in the cake with it! If you buy one, the directions come with it (the Wilton one at least, which is what I have.)

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:04am
post #4 of 16

I have never used the baking core, but I did just finish my cake classes and our teacher said to fill the core with batter to be level with your cake, spray or cover with shortening and flour so it won't stick-inside and out-and when your cake is done, pop the cake out of the core, and "plug" the hole in your cake with it. thumbs_up.gif

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:14am
post #5 of 16

Wow, I am going to have to try the core as I do have problems with my cakes not being level so does it really work?If so that will be the answer to my problems.....lol. Is there anything else I could use to have my cakes be level?Thanks in advance have a great day

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:26am
post #6 of 16

a flower nail can be used as a heating core..learned that one on CC...all you do is grease the flower nail...put it disc side down in your pan (hold on to it when you pour the batter or it will skate around a little)...it is extremely easy to remove and no big hole in your cake...for a really big cake use 2 or 3 nails
This is sooo much easier than using that big heating core...

Hope that helps!

daisyblue Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:27am
post #7 of 16

Hails, when I've used the heating core, it doesn't really make the cake any more level than baking without it (it does a little) but it helps the center of your cake cook more quickly, This helps if you're baking a large cake (like anything 12" or above or more than 2" thick.) If you're trying to get your cakes more level you should try the bake even strips. I LOVE them! I've heard some people say they 'kind of' work for them but they've worked every time for me. Just make sure you really get them soaked with cold water & don't squeeze out all of the water before applying them to the outside of your pan. They're worth trying. I really think you'll like them. Good luck!!

hails Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #8 of 16

Thank you so much daisyblue, you are a star icon_smile.gif
I will have to try it with my next cake. I have another question do you know how to make choc. ganache? I saw a pic on CC using it but I have no idea how to make it, thanks again

daisyblue Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #9 of 16

Thanks Hails, I really do think you'll love those. Here's a ganache recipe for you:
8 oz. semi sweet chocolate (or dark or whatever kind of ganache you're wanting to make), chopped (or you can use chocolate chips)
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tblsp unsalted butter

Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream & butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream & butter have come to a boil, pour over the chocolate. Let it set for about 4 or 5 minutes until the chocolate has started to melt, then whisk until smooth.
For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy. This will make enough to cover a 9' cake or torte. Note: If covering a cake that is to be refrigerated, make sure the cake is cold before covering with the ganache. This will ensure that the ganache does not dull when stored in the refrigerator.
To cover the cake or torte,
Brush any loose crumbs from the cake and place cake on a wire rack. Put the wire rack on a baking sheet. In this way if the ganache drips it will end up on the baking sheet, which makes clean up easier. Using a cake spatula, cover the sides and top of the cake with about 2 tablespoons ganache. This seals in any cake crumbs so that your cake will have a smooth finish. Refrigerate cake for 5 minutes to set the crumb coat. If you have any air bubbles or crumbs in your ganache, pour through a strainer. To cover cake, pour the remaining ganache into the center of the cake. Working quickly, spread with a spatula, using big strokes to push the ganache over the sides of the cake, to create an even coating of ganache. If there are any bare spots on sides of cake, cover with leftover ganache. Leftover ganache can be strained to remove any crumbs and used to make truffles.

Hope it works for you!!!

hails Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:09am
post #10 of 16

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! YOu are truly an angel thanks so much for all your time and your speedy reply it's because of people like you that I LOVE This site so much,thanks again

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #11 of 16

well cool. i think i will try the flower nails before i go and buy a core. thanks all!

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:54am
post #12 of 16

Hi daisyblue! Just wanted to know-is ganache just a chocolate icing that you pour over your cake? Could it be done to where the chocolate "stops"
in the middle of the cake like some cakes I've seen?

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:58am
post #13 of 16

ganache can be thin to pour over for icing, thick to use as a filling or solid to roll into truffles. all depends on how much heavy cream you add to your chocolate

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:32am
post #14 of 16

hey alaskanmom,
Try the bake rite strips, they are great! I use it on the 9x13 sheet and all of the smaller pans. I use the heating core for all of the larger sized pans to help the center cook evenly, and I use the bake rite strips to keep it level- you have to pin several together for the large size pans.
Try them, they are great icon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:46am
post #15 of 16

i do use bake strips, usually. i just did a half a sheet cake and am trying the flower nails... we'll see what happens

daisyblue Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:25am
post #16 of 16

Hi to you Cassie2500! It sounds like Alaskanmom was right on the money with her answer. It can be used in different ways depending on how thick you make it. If you make it just a little thicker than you normally would to cover the cake all the way to the bottom, you can get it to stop in the middle & have a drizzle type effect. I think that looks very pretty on a cake, especially with contrasting colors (like chocolate ganache & white iced cake, or chocolate ganache with an orange iced cake for Halloween, for instance.) It also looks great if you do a white chocolate ganache & use some food coloring in it. Just have fun using your imagination!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%